You’ll love this broccoli cheddar soup recipe. It tastes as good as if not better than Panera’s broccoli cheddar soup. It’s pretty easy to make and makes for great leftovers, too.
This healthy broccoli cheddar soup is loaded with broccoli, carrots, and cheese. It’s so rich and cheesy, but still light enough to pair with a lunch sandwich. It’s the perfect comfort soup to try during the cold season.
Healthy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
I love Panera bread, but don’t go there too often because it’s quite pricey. In this recipe, I’ll show you how to make a restaurant-quality broccoli cheddar cheese soup that costs less than what you’d pay to eat out.
This broccoli cheddar soup is made with easy ingredients that you can find in your pantry. It does not take a long time to make and can be ready in about 30 minutes.
What is Broccoli Cheddar Soup Made of?
To make this homemade broccoli cheddar soup you’ll need fresh broccoli, cheddar cheese, carrots, onion, garlic, paprika, thyme, flour, half and half, and the secret ingredient, Dijon mustard.
Broccoli. In this recipe, I used fresh broccoli. Frozen broccoli will work as well.
Dijon Mustard. It's the secret ingredient of this broccoli cheddar soup. It adds a tangy and complex flavor to a dish and it goes well with cheddar cheese. You only need a small amount of dijon mustard to bring this broccoli cheddar soup to the next level.
Half and Half. You can also use heavy cream for a richer flavor soup or use 2% milk for a lighter soup.
How to Make Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Step 1. Cook the Soup Base
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat.
- Cook onion for 4 minutes then add garlic and keep stirring for 30 seconds.
Step 2. Make Roux
- Add flour and keep stirring for 4 minutes.
Step 3. Add Seasoning and Broccoli
- Add paprika, dijon mustard, thyme, broccoli, and carrots. Stir for 10-15 seconds.
Step 4. Add Broth and Simmer
- Add low sodium chicken stock into the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered for 8 minutes or until the broccoli is tender.
- Add salt and black pepper.
Step 5. Add Half and Half, and Cheese
- Add half and half into the pot. Let it simmer for 3 minutes or until it is hot.
- Add cheese and turn off the heat immediately. Remove the pot from the heat and keep stirring until the cheese is fully melted.
FAQ and Cooking Tips:
Yes, you can freeze this broccoli cheese soup but it's not recommended as the soup tastes grainy once reheated. To store the leftover, simply let it cool at room temperature but no longer than for 2 hours. Transfer the leftovers to an airtight container or a freezer bag. Properly stored, the leftover broccoli cheese soup will last up to 3 days in the fridge or up to 2 months in the freezer.
If the soup is frozen, thaw it first before reheating. You can reheat the leftover broccoli cheese soup on the stove over low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently. Alternatively, you can reheat the soup in a microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Check Out More Tasty Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Greek Chicken Lemon Rice Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Great Northern Bean Soup (White Bean Soup)
- Albondigas Soup (Mexican Caldo De Albondigas)
- Tomato Potato Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Italian Bean Soup
- Creamy Ravioli Soup
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1½ cups diced yellow onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tbsp dijon mustard
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 7 oz broccoli florets, (about 3 cups, fully packed)
- 2½ oz shredded carrots, (from 2 medium-sized carrots)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups half and half
- ¾-1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 8 oz fresh cheddar cheese loaf, shred, (do not use pre-shredded cheese)
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion for 4 minutes then add garlic and keep stirring for 30 seconds.
- Add flour and keep stirring for 4 minutes. Add paprika, dijon mustard, thyme, broccoli, and carrots. Stir for 10-15 seconds.
- Add low-sodium chicken stock. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, for 8 minutes or until the broccoli is tender.
- Gradually stir in half and half. Let it simmer for 3 minutes. Add cheese then turn off the heat immediately. Remove the pot from the stove and keep stirring until the cheese is fully melted.