There is nothing better than a warm bowl of soup on a cold day. This quick Italian bean soup is a comforting dish that can be ready in less than 30 minutes! A very simple soup recipe and it is so tasty!
If you need something fast, easy, and delicious, make this Italian Bean Soup for dinner tonight! The soup is packed with healthy veggies, beans, and Italian sausage. It's a quick soup recipe that you can make with pantry items.
Even though this has a lot of canned goods, this recipe is very healthy. It warms up the body on a really cold day and has filling ingredients, so it can be a full meal or a hearty soup side dish.
Italian Bean Soup Ingredients:
This Italian Bean Soup recipe requires just a few ingredients and very inexpensive to make. Here's a list of ingredients you'll need:
- Sweet Italian sausage
- Diced tomatoes, unsalted, canned
- Cannellini beans, no-salt-added, canned
- Chicken broth, low-sodium
- Spinach (It's optional) or kale or escarole
- Italian seasoning
- Dried basil
How to Make Italian Bean Soup:
This soup recipe requires minimal preparation. It's easy to cook, but tastes like it took hours to make! So, here are some important steps to follow.
Step 1. Brown the Sausage
Cook the sausage, onion, and carrots for about 6 minutes or until the sausage is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender. Add garlic, and cook just until fragrant.
Step 2. Combine all ingredients, except Spinach
Add diced tomatoes, chicken broth, cannellini beans, Italian seasoning, and dried basil into the pot. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat. Simmer the soup for about 10 minutes.
Step 3. Add Spinach
Stir in spinach then turn off the heat immediately so you don't overcook it. The spinach will continue to cook even after you remove the pot from the heat.
How to Avoid Bland Soup
We all have our own taste preferences. Depending on the type of sausage you choose for this recipe, you may need to adjust the seasoning according to your liking.
A good rule of thumb is that to season the soup with spices a little bit at a time, taste after each addition, and adjust accordingly.
Also, for more distinct flavor, you can add herbs/spices near the end of cooking, or for more mild flavor, you can add them at the beginning.
How to Store Leftover Cannellini Bean Soup
Soup is ideal for making ahead of time. You can also store the leftover soup in the fridge or freezer if you'd like. Here's how to do it:
- First, let the soup cool at room temperature but no longer than 2 hours.
- Once your soup has cooled completely, you can store it in airtight individual serving containers.
- Properly stored, this soup can last up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer.
How to Reheat Leftover Soup:
You can reheat this soup on the stove over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until hot; or reheat in a slow cooker.
CHECK MORE TASTY SOUP RECIPES:
- INSTANT POT STUFFED PEPPER SOUP
- CREAMY RAVIOLI SOUP
- ALBONDIGAS SOUP (CALDO DE ALBÓNDIGAS)
- CREAMY MUSHROOM SOUP WITH NO CREAM
- FRENCH ONION SOUP
- CHICKEN CORN CHOWDER (STOVETOP INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED)
- CAULIFLOWER SOUP (LOW-CARB)
- CHICKEN CORN CHOWDER
- BLACK-EYED PEA SOUP WITH HAM HOCK AND SPINACH
- POTATO LEEK SOUP (NO FLOUR ADDED)
- POTATO SOUP WITH BACON!
- GREAT NORTHERN BEAN SOUP
- ITALIAN SAUSAGE KALE SOUP
- INSTANT POT CLAM CHOWDER
Italian Bean Soup
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, (casing removed)
- 1½ cups diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 garlic cloves, (minced)
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes, no-salt added, (undrained)
- 2 cans (15.5 oz each) cannellini beans, no-salt added, (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) low-sodium chicken broth, (or about 3.5 cups) *see notes*
- 1½ tsp Italian seasoning, (add more according to your liking)
- ½ tsp dried basil , (add more according to your liking)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 3-4 cups spinach
- Cook the sausage undisturbed in hot oil over medium heat for 1 minute then break it apart with a spatula. Add diced onion and carrots, cook for 5 minutes or until the sausage is no longer pink. Stir in garlic and until fragrant.
- Add remaining ingredients, except spinach into the pot. Bring to a boil then lower the heat, simmer the soup, uncovered for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in spinach. Turn off the heat immediately so you don't overcook it. Serve.