A very tasty homemade stir-fried Chicken in Black Bean Sauce recipe. This restaurant-style chicken dish is so flavorful and very easy to make.
The chicken is tender and seasoned with the most distinct Hunanese seasoning, a black bean sauce. It's garlicky, gingery, and has the perfect amount of saltiness and sweetness, an authentic Chinese food flavor that you’ll love.
About This Chicken in Black Bean Sauce Recipe
Chicken with black beans is one of the most popular dishes at Chinese restaurants. The chicken meat is cooked with fermented black bean and has pungent, salty flavor from the beans.
This Chinese black bean chicken may look like a complicated dish but it's actually not hard to put together, even for beginner cooks. It's so addictive, and this is a delicious Chinese recipe that will make you want to cook more at home and skip the take out.
Chicken in Black Bean Sauce Ingredients:
To make this recipe, you will need chicken meat (thighs or breasts), fermented black bean, garlic, ginger, Shaoxing wine, corn starch, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, scallions, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, and salt to taste.
You can find most of these ingredients at any grocers. Fermented black beans are available at any Asian grocers, Atlas, or online.
You can purchase Shaoxing wine at any Asian grocers, and select Kroger/Ralph's stores or online. Shaoxing wine is inexpensive; store price is around $1.99 - $3.99 per bottle.
Fermented Black Beans:
Douchi 豆豉; dòuchǐ, or tochi is the most popular seasoning in the Chinese cuisine. It's a type of fermented black beans or fermented black soybeans that are commonly used for making black bean sauce dishes, such as stir-fries and other wok-cooked dishes.
The flavor of these fermented beans is sharp, pungent, and spicy in smell, with a taste that is salty and somewhat bitter and sweet. You must soak and rinse before use.
Please note that fermented beans are not the same thing as regular black beans that often used in a variety of Tex-Mexican recipes. Therefore they can not be used interchangeably in recipes and will product different results.
Better-Than-Takeout Chicken Dish
Because of the popularity of fermented black beans, you’ll see them in many Chinese recipes so don’t think twice to buy or order for home, as it’s worth it in the long run with the use you’ll get from them! These fermented beans can last for a very long time if stored properly.
How to Cook Chicken with Fermented Black Bean Sauce
The cooking process of this dish is pretty simple. First, you need to marinate the chicken with the 2 different types of soy sauce, plus salt and corn starch. I highly recommend marinating the chicken for 30 minutes.
After you finish marinate the chicken, you can start stir-frying the vegetables, then chicken in black bean sauce.
Anybody can cook this dish. There is no special cooking skill required. As always with Chinese recipes, once the cooking start you need to move quickly! So be sure to prepare and have all the ingredients you need nearby!
Check Out More Asian Recipes
- SPICY SICHUAN NOODLES
- SWEET AND SOUR FISH
- HUNAN BEEF WITH CUMIN
- INSTANT POT MONGOLIAN BEEF
- SINGAPORE NOODLES (XING ZHOU MI FEN)
- GENERAL TSO’S CHICKEN (SWEET AND SAVORY DEEP-FRIED CHICKEN)
- VEGETABLE STIR FRY WITH TOFU
- BEST PORK TENDERLOIN STIR FRY
- ASIAN GROUND BEEF STIR FRY
- THAI SALAD DRESSING
- MINCED PORK NOODLES WITH HOISIN SAUCE
- CHINESE EGGPLANT WITH MINCED PORK
- SHRIMP AND GREEN PEAS STIR FRY
- SESAME NOODLES (MA JIANG MIAN)
This recipe is inspired by Fuschia Dunlop.
Chicken in Black Bean Sauce
- 1 pound chicken thighs
- ¾ cup diced red bell pepper
- ¾ cup diced green bell pepper
- 3 scallions, (chopped, white and light green for stir fry, dark green for serving)
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil , (divided)
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon minced ginger
- 4 tablespoon Chinese fermented black beans, (also known as Chinese Douchi)
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine, (or use dry sherry)
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- Cut the chicken into small bite pieces, around ⅜ inch.
- Soak the fermented beans in hot water for 15-30 minutes and rinse them a few times.
- Place the chicken in a bowl, marinate with low-sodium soy sauce, dark soy sauce, salt, and corn starch. Let it marinate for 30 minutes if possible.
Cook the Diced Bell Peppers:
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a wok or non-stick skillet over high heat. Cook the green and red bell pepper until slightly cooked but still crisp. Remove from the wok and set aside.
Cook the Chicken:
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok or non-stick skillet over high heat. Cook the chicken thighs and stir fry for about 2 minutes, then add garlic, ginger and continue stir-frying until fragrant.
Stir Fry the Remaining Ingredients:
- Add the black beans into the wok, stir fry until you can smell them, return the peppers into the wok.
- Add Shaoxing wine and stir to combine. Add chopped scallions (white and light green parts only). Continue cooking until the chicken meat is fully cooked.
- Adjust seasoning with salt or soy sauce or add spiciness by adding a pinch of dried pepper flakes if needed.
- Add chopped scallions (green part only) and sesame oil stir to combine. Turn off the heat and transfer a plate. Serve and enjoy!