Flavorful easy Chimichurri sauce made with a mixture of finely chopped parsley in red wine vinegar and garlicky oil. You can serve this green Chimichurri on the side, as a condiment or use it as a marinating sauce for BBQ meats.
What is Chimichurri Sauce
If you don't know what to do with fresh parsley, try this refreshing Chimichurri sauce recipe.
Chimichurri is a savory sauce that originally comes from both Argentina and Uruguay. It's typically made with fresh chopped parsley, garlic, oregano, vinegar, and oil.
What is Chimichurri Sauce Good For?
This Argentinian salsa contains healthy vegetables and herbs. Therefore, it's not only delicious but it's also packed with flavor and nutrients.
Chimichurri sauce is herby, garlicky, and tangy. A great condiment for all kinds of grilled meat, fish, pasta, salad, ror even on roasted potatoes!
How to Make Chimichurri Sauce:
To make this Chimichurri sauce it's so easy. There is no cooking involved. The whole process just takes about 10 minutes in preparation.
- First, you need to finely chop up the parsley and mince the garlic.
- Next, place all of the ingredients in a bowl then mix until combined.
- After that, taste the sauce. Adjust seasoning with additional salt and pepper if needed and let the sauce sit for at least an hour at room temperature before serving or using it.
Chimichurri Sauce Ingredients:
To make this sauce, you need some fresh parsley, garlic, oregano, red wine vinegar, oil, and red pepper flakes.
This sauce offers a powerful pack of antioxidants and other nutrients. In addition, the healthy fats pair great with meats, from chicken, and steak to pork.
Parsley. Use Italian flat parsley, leaves only because the stems will make the sauce taste bitter.
Do not use dried parsley since it has no flavor.
Oregano. You can use either fresh or dried oregano.
Garlic. Use fresh garlic and adjust the amount that goes into the sauce according to your liking.
How to Store the Chimichurri Sauce:
You can use the chimichurri sauce immediately or make the sauce ahead of time for later use. In fact, the sauce actually improves in flavor after it sits for an hour at room temperature or overnight in the fridge.
Just be sure to use it within 24-48 hours for freshness.
You can also keep the sauce in the freezer for up to 3 months without losing the flavor and freshness.
To shave leaves off stems, hold a sharp knife and cut parsley leaves from stems at a 45-degree angle. Also, don't press the parsley leaves too hard to prevent bruises. Only shave off as much parsley as you plan to use immediately.
Check Out More Homemade Sauce Recipes
Easy Chimichurri Sauce
- ½ cup finely chopped flat Italian parsley leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, (finely minced)
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves, (equal 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ tablespoon dried red pepper chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- Place all chimichurri ingredients in a bowl and mix until well combined. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Transfer sauce to an airtight container and put in the fridge at least 1 hour or up to 1 day to boost the flavor.
I had no idea the ingredients in chimichurri sauce were all spices and herbs that I already like! I have to make this now! I had no clue!
Your chimichurri sauce looks amazing! My other half and I would use this to spice up some of our meals this summer!
I've heard of Chimichurri Sauce before but haven't tried it yet. I will have to give it a try. I hope it's not too spicy.
I have tried chimichurri sauce before, but I've never made it myself. This sounds delicious and would be a great way to add some new dishes in our routine.
I love sauces like this that add so much flavor to dishes. I will definitely try to make this recipe.
Wow! This Chimichurri sauce looks so yummy. I will definitely save this recipe.
I love the looks of this recipe. Adding it to my recipe book now!