You really have to try this ginger scallion sauce! The ginger sauce takes less than 10 minutes to make and is so addictive. The best thing about it is that it goes great on almost everything!
What is Ginger Scallion Sauce 姜葱酱
Ginger scallion sauce is an oil-infused sauce commonly used to give flavor to poached chicken in the popular Hainanese chicken rice dish.
The sauce is aromatic and has a bold flavor that will make anything, including plain rice, taste so much better! It's gingery, salty, and oniony.
What Ingredients are in Ginger Scallion Sauce
This ginger scallion sauce is made of fresh green onion, ginger, sesame oil, peanut oil, salt, and an optional rice wine vinegar.
- Green onion or scallion. You'll be using both the white and green parts of the scallions.
- Ginger. It's recommended to use fresh finely minced ginger.
- Oil. Use neutral and high-smoking point oil, such as peanut oil, sunflower oil, or grapeseed oil. Do not use olive oil because it has a low smoking point and a strong taste that will overpower the flavor of the sauce.
- Sesame oil. This is optional and adds flavor and fragrance to the sauce.
- Rice wine vinegar. Also optional. I used a small amount of rice wine vinegar to add an extra kick "zing" flavor to the sauce.
How to Make Ginger Scallion Sauce
This ginger scallion oil is so easy to make. You can get this sauce ready in 5-10 minutes or a bit longer, depending on your chopping skills or speed.
Step 1. Prepare the Aromatic Vegetables and Season with Salt.
- Using a sharp knife, finely mince the scallions and ginger.
- Place the minced scallions and ginger in a heatproof bowl.
Step 2. Heat the oil
- Put oil in a saucepan and heat it up over high heat until hot and it begins to smoke.
Step 3. Infuse
- Pour the hot oil over the aromatic vegetables. Stir lightly until well combined.
Recipe Tips and Variations for Ginger Scallion Oil
As always, use this recipe as a base. You can use fewer/more scallions or ginger according to your liking.
Seasoning. Taste the sauce, and add more salt or sesame oil if needed.
Hot Oil. It's important to heat the oil until it is hot and begins to smoke. To test it out, you can pour a few drops of hot oil onto the scallions ginger mix. If you don't hear a sizzle, heat the oil a bit longer.
Rice wine vinegar. Don't use more than the recommended amount, a little goes a long way. If you add too much, it will ruin the sauce.
Storing. You can put the leftover ginger scallion sauce in an airtight container. Properly stored, it lasts 2-3 weeks in the fridge.
Check Out More Tasty Sauce
- Remoulade Sauce
- Enchilada Sauce
- Cranberry Sauce
- Bolognese Sauce
- Honey Mustard Sauce
- Chimmichurri Sauce
- Thai Peanut Sauce
Ginger Scallion Sauce Recipe
- 2½ oz finely minced scallions , (white and green parts)
- 1¾ oz finely minced ginger , (peeled) - use more or less according to your liking
- 6 tablespoon neutral and high-smoking point oil, (peanut, vegetable, canola, or sunflower oil)
- ½ teaspoon salt, (use more or less according to your liking)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ⅛ teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- Place the minced scallions, ginger, and salt in a heatproof bowl.
- Put oil in a saucepan. Heat it up over high heat until hot and it begins to smoke. Pour the hot oil over the aromatic vegetables. Stir lightly until well combined.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and/or the optional rice wine vinegar, and sesame oil if necessary.