Peter B’s BrewPub – Monterey’s Original Craft Brewery with Amazing Grub!

sweet potato tots

In partnership with Peter B’s BrewPub and Portola Hotel. As always, all opinions are my own.

Peter B’s BrewPub is Monterey’s original craft Brewery, so I was honored (and stoked) when asked to give a taste and review of their beer and food.  The location is unbeatable, in the Portola Hotel right across from the Old Fisherman’s Wharf and in a happening part of downtown Monterey.  I have a lot of good things to say about Peter B’s BrewPub but want to start withe new powerhouse duo behind the great flavors and creations:

• Renowned Executive Chef Danny Abbruzzese, who has a lifetime of experience in all facets and styles of cooking is taking the reins here and at Jack’s.  From vegetables to the proteins, sauces to desserts, he delivers flavors that marry new and elevated tastes with familiar comfort food.
  • Brewmaster Justin Rivard, who just picked up a medal at the 2016 Great American Beer Festival.  Like Danny he brings innovation and an expert palate that is dialed-in.

Peter Bs Brew Pub

Peter B’s Pub

Let’s start out with three favorite food items from Peter B’s:

Peter B’s Pub Steak – Flatiron Steak and green peppercorn sauce (with just a little bite to it). It had shallots, garlic, and a veal stock that’s reduced to a nice rich sauce.  It was cooked to perfection and that green peppercorn sauce?  Exceptional.  Simply put, this is just awesome pub food.  Fries were top notch, my son barely let me have any.

Peter B’s Pub Steak

Peter B’s Pub Steak

Sweet Potato Tots – While eating the steak I also enjoyed these tots, which were served up with a curry aioli. I have a weakness for sweet potato anything, especially when it tastes like this!  Nice color and a very crave-worthy sauce.  These went down so well with the beer I was drinking!

sweet potato tots

Backyard Burger – A summertime burger with a barbeque sauce from one of Peter B’s stout beers, plus cheddar, bacon, a fried onion ring, a pickle, and fries.   I have to steal a phase from Pulp fiction on this one… “Mmmm, this is a tasty burger!” It’s outstanding, actually.  The sauce was rich and the fried onion gave each bite a little crunch, as did the bacon.  Cool presentation as you can see, and I love the bbq seasoning on those fries.

backyard burger

As for beer, I tried a flight to help me hone in on one to order a pint of, but then ended up having another flight as the first was so enjoyable. Here are the Peter B’s beers that I tried, each packed with aromas and flavors:

Peter Bs Brew Pub

Death Star Imperial Red – I’m a Star Wars fan (I even thought of being an Imperial Guard for Halloween), so I was excited to try this first. It tastes kind of like an amber ale but its more malty, which I really liked. It had flavors of caramel and toffee, with a nice boozy finish to it.
Cracked in the Rye IPA – A full bodied IPA with flavors of honey, caramel and also a spiciness from the rye malt that was used.  It is brewed with pink peppercorn to add to the unique spicy flavor, and it has Eldorado hops for even more. This is perfect for the fall and winter months.
Tuatara IPA – Brewed with Nelson Sauvin hops from New Zealand and named after the country’s Tuatara Lizard. This beer has honey nectarine, peaches, orange with a good finish, and marries-up well with one of the restaurant’s desserts. Hailing from San Diego I know a thing or two about IPAs and this one definitely makes the cut!
Midnight Bunny Rider Choclolate Hefeweizen – Has tastes of chocolate, biscuits, as well as citrus notes and banana. I’ve only had chocolate stouts before this, another example of Peter B’s pushing boundaries.   *Here’s an insider’s tip from the restaurant’s Assistant Manager Toni Diaz: “add a splash of this in the Stout Resistance to give a slight chocolate flavor”.
Stout Resistance – Cherry and coffee in the brewing process give it the chocolate and dark flavors. Stouts are my beer of choice only about 10% of the time as I need to be in the right mood, but this had such a smooth finish that I could see myself ordering the Stout Resistance much more often.

All of the beers at Peter B’s are brewed in-house. The ones I’ve mentioned are seasonal except for Stout Resistance (one of five house styles they always have on-tap). If I lived remotely close to Monterey County I’d be a regular here, and would fill up a growler or two each time on the way out.
The staff at Peter B’s BrewPub is amazing.  Monterey as a whole is a special place and the people are a big part of that.  On that note I loved talking to the restaurant’s General Manager, Stacie Tarantino about everything we were wolfing down, but also about the many green initiatives that the Portola Hotel and its two restaurants are taking on (check it out, it’s inspiring).  Chef Danny is no stranger to sourcing food from sustainable, local and organic sources and reducing waste… he feels right at home here.  When I asked him about the team he said “Stacey, Toni and the rest of the staff, they are just phenomenal and were a big draw for me to settle here.  They are so passionate!  You need a happy environment to have happy food, and you can taste that on the plate.”

We were outside on the dog-friendly patio and it was beautiful there.  Inside was welcoming too with some folks beer tasting, others enjoying lunch, and plenty of HDTVs around so my husband could get his NFL fix.    Foodies and beer lovers alike should add it to their list of things to do in Monterey.  It’s one of those laid back places that you can go to unplanned and enjoy, or make an event out of it (they even have a beautiful barrel room for tastings or private events).  Peter B’s BrewPub was one of the unexpected highlights of our time in Monterey as we were thinking “wine, wine, wine” for the trip, but ended up enjoying tremendous beer, too.  Between that and choice eats we walked away feeling very pleased with all of the flavors we had just experienced, and vowed to return soon.

Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay | Two Portola Plaza Monterey, CA 93940
Toll Free: (888) 222-5851 | Direct: (800) 342-4295 | Fax: (831) 372-0620
Email: info@portolahotel.com

• Reply Rebecca Swenor Oct 15, 2016 at 10:15 am

Peter B’s BrewPub sounds like a great place to dine and have fun. I would love to visit this place and try the house steak. It looks delicious and the brews look tasty too. Thanks for sharing your experience.

• Reply Rika Oct 16, 2016 at 9:39 am

This is a fun place with great foods and beer 😉

• Reply tammileetips Oct 16, 2016 at 10:52 am

We love to check out breweries!! This looks like a great one, my husband always loves to try out new brews, plus the food looks amazing!

• Reply Heather Oct 16, 2016 at 11:46 am

Wow! It looks like a great place to eat! I love that they put the pickle on top of the burger. Good bear with a nice stake is just what my husband would love. Would be a great place for a date night.

• Reply Jenn Oct 16, 2016 at 3:32 pm

Looks like a great place to go. Your photos look delicious. I love a good burger.

• Reply Claudia Krusch Oct 16, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Sounds like an amazing place! The food looks sooooo good!

• Reply Heather | All Roads Lead to the Kitchen Oct 17, 2016 at 4:49 am

Oh my gosh, everything looks amazing, but those sweet potato tots are calling my name! Sounds like a great brewpub.

• Reply Jeanine Oct 17, 2016 at 5:26 am

Oh wow everything looks just amazing! Your photos make it very hard not to travel there right now! So good.

• Reply Garf Oct 17, 2016 at 6:43 am

Love the sweet potato tots. They look so good. I want some right now.

• Reply Krystal Oct 17, 2016 at 7:28 am

Those photos really bring out the flavor of the dishes! I love a good brew pub, pairing beer and food together in just the right way is fun!

• Reply Karen Clough Oct 17, 2016 at 10:52 am

Wow that looks delicious! And your pics are beautiful. I’m drooling!

• Reply CourtneyLynne Oct 17, 2016 at 11:16 am

Omg everything about this pub looks absolutely delicious!!!! Totally this foodies kinda place to go!

• Reply Donna L. Ward Oct 17, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Wow! The food looks so delicious – especially the Sweet Potato Tots and Backyard Burger – the atmosphere looks great – and your post was point on in the descriptions!

• Reply jennifervanhuss Oct 17, 2016 at 2:28 pm

My husband is a huge beer drinker! He loves trying new ones! This looks like a great place to hang out!

• Reply Bonnie Gowen Oct 17, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Looks like a fantastic place to eat! The food looks really great, nice photos!

• Reply Vera Sweeney Oct 17, 2016 at 5:41 pm

My husband would be all over this brewery!! He loves to try new craft beers, and the food looks amazing as well!

• Reply Nancy L Oct 17, 2016 at 5:45 pm

I have got to get to Peter B’s BrewPub! Oh my! The food (especially the burger) looks soooo good! 🙂 The Midnight Bunny Rider beer also has my name all over it! Sounds delicious! 🙂

• Reply Mrs. Emma Spellman Oct 17, 2016 at 6:50 pm

This place looks amazing. The sweet potato tator tots look so crispy!

• Reply Kathy Oct 18, 2016 at 7:34 am

This food looks amazing! I’d love to go there someday. Those potato tots really look amazing. I have to try them!

• Reply Ann Bacciaglia Oct 18, 2016 at 8:08 am

This would be a great place to spend an evening. I would love to give these beers a try. The food looks delicious.

• Reply Lynndee Oct 18, 2016 at 10:24 am

Looks like a great place to hang out. We love checking it out new places to eat. Now if only we lived in Monterey! 🙂

• Reply uprunforlife Oct 18, 2016 at 11:23 am

The food looks amazing. I have not ever heard of this restaurant. It sounds like a great place to eat and that your family enjoyed it.

• Reply Diana Oct 18, 2016 at 12:40 pm

Wow everything looks so scrumptious! Peter B’s Brewpub looks like a great place to dine and hang out. Too bad I don’t live in Monterey. 🙁

• Reply Eloise Oct 18, 2016 at 8:30 pm

that food looks super yum good in my tum! I’d like to try this place some day and taste all that food 🙂

• Reply Amanda Love Oct 19, 2016 at 1:29 am

It sounds like a lovely place. You can never go wrong with this one! The brews sound amazing and I would love to give each one a try. The food looks amazing as well. Perfect combination! Good food + Good Beer!

• Reply Terri Ramsey Beavers Oct 19, 2016 at 1:51 pm

Good golly miss molly, that food looks divine. I love green peppercorns so I know I’d love this place.

• Reply Yolo Spinks Oct 19, 2016 at 3:13 pm

These dishes look good. I love onion rings on my burgers, too. Next up I’ll have to try eggs on them. 🙂

• Reply Jenny Oct 19, 2016 at 5:32 pm

You’re making me hungry!! This place sounds great . We have a few great pubs around here too that ill have to try.

• Reply Gabriel Bregg Oct 19, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Food looks great, but I’ve got eyes on that sampler of beer in the background. I’ve always been a bit of a beer snob and it just seems to be getting worse!

• Reply Chubskulit Rose Oct 20, 2016 at 6:01 am

Those looks so delicious! This place looks like a nice one to visit especially if you like to have a bottle of beer or two.

• Reply Portola Hotel & Spa: Monterey Bay Hotel - Posh Journal Oct 30, 2016 at 9:50 pm

[…] Peter B’s BrewPub too, serving up delicious pub food like steaks and burgers.   Check out our full review on Peter B’s Brewpub for more info and pics of their beer and […]