Sponsored post by me on behalf of FARMER JOHN®, MISSION®, & TABASCO® Sauce. The opinions and text are all mine.
Calling all spicy food lovers! This delicious spicy smoked sausage soup is so hearty and easy to prepare! Made with simple ingredients, this soup has the right amount of protein, vegetables and spices. It’s a quick one-pot meal recipe that can be ready in about 30 minutes or less. With all of the flavor packed in, you’ll want to eat a second bowl.
I visited the Smart and Final store in my area to pick up some of the ingredients for this Spicy Smoked Sausage Soup: FARMER JOHN® Red Hots Extra Hot! Smoked Sausage, TABASCO® brand Green Pepper Sauce and MISSION® Tortilla Chips. The most important component of this particular soup is the smoked sausage. FARMER JOHN Red Hots Extra Hot! Smoked Sausages are naturally hardwood smoked, gluten free and have no MSG added. These smoked sausage add a great flavor to the soup and are a huge time-saver as they are fully cooked.
To add flavor to this spicy smoked sausage soup I used cumin, chili powder, paprika, oregano and cayenne pepper. I also used jalapeno to add extra heat, white onion and garlic to add fragrance, and chopped red bell pepper, carrots, zucchini and corn to add a nice touch of color. I’ve always been a fan of spicy food and love being able to control the exact amount that’s going into a dish. Being able to add different peppers, powders and spice, and then opting for hot sausages or sauces… yum, I want all of it!
I’ve mixed it up with all sorts of chicken and vegetarian soups, but coming back to a true spicy smoked sausage soup just feels like home for me. It’s a bit nostalgic as sausage is the type of soup I had more than any other growing up. I use more vegetables than most of the recipes I grew up on, that’s just a personal preference and lifestyle choice for me. The more veggies the better.
Smart and Final is a great one-stop shop to purchase the ingredients for this spicy soup and more. Right now, they have a great sweepstakes happening. You can enter the FARMER JOHN Tailgate Sweepstakes by heading to http://www.smartandfinal.com/farmerjohntailgatesweeps for a chance to win a tailgate prize pack. Just Shop, Text and Win!
- Shop: Purchase any participating FARMER JOHN, MISSION, or TABASCO® Sauce product
- Text: Send the code that is printed on your receipt to be automatically entered
- Win: A Tailgate Prize Pack
- (5) Grand Prize Winners (Valued at $625)
- (10) 2nd Prize Winners (Valued at $275)
- (25) 3rd Place Prize Winners ($50 Smart & Final Gift Card)
- 3-4 FARMER JOHN Red Hots Extra Hot! Smoked Sausage links
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- 3/4 - 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1-2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 tablespoon TABASCO® brand Green Chili Pepper or use more according to your liking
- 1/2 cup corn
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bag of MISSION Tortilla Chips
- chips to serve
- avocado to serve
- cilantro to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the chopped onion and red bell pepper, cook and stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add jalapeño and garlic. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add carrots, chopped zucchini and the FARMER JOHN Red Hots Extra Hot! Smoked Sausage and stir for about 1 minute.
- Add chili powder, cumin, Mexican oregano, smoked paprika, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Cook and keep stirring for about 1 or 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Stir in the fire roasted tomatoes, low sodium chicken broth, chicken stock cubes. Bring to a boil, reduce to heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add TABASCO® brand Green Chili Pepper and corn. Keep stirring and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Taste and season with an (optional) Tabasco, salt and pepper according to your liking,
- Transfer to a bowl, garnish with fresh cilantro, lime wedge, and serve with MISSION Tortilla Chips.