Air fryer okra is the perfect last-minute appetizer to serve at your next party. This Southern-style okra is fried to perfection in an air fryer, no oil needed! It's so crispy, tasty, and not slimy. It's simply the best-fried okra recipe, and it's not even deep-fried.
Today, you are going to learn how to cook okra in an air fryer! This air fryer okra recipe is so simple and easy to make. It takes only 10 minutes to cook the breaded okra in an air fryer and you've got the crispiest and crunchiest fried okra, with no oily mess!
How to Cook Fresh Okra without It Going Slimy
Okra is a staple of Southern cooking and can be tricky to cook perfectly. When okra isn’t cooked right, it can be slimy.
The slime okra contains soluble fiber that you can digest and actually is good for you. However, for many people, the slimy texture may taste strange and unappetizing.
An air fryer is absolutely the best kitchen tool that makes cooking okra easier and quicker. In addition, an air fryer can cook food that tastes deep fried without the need to add oil!
Cooking fresh okra quickly at high heats such as air-fried, deep-fried, or grilled helps eliminate a lot of slimes! It's a no-brainer decision to use an air fryer!
How to Make Fried Okra from Scratch
This air fryer okra is made with sliced okra pods, coated in egg and milk, and dredged in a flour and cornmeal mixture. The cornmeal breading mixture is seasoned perfectly with light spices and herbs.
Now, let's go into the details! Be sure to follow these steps below for crispy, crunchy, slime-free results.
How to Prepare Okra for Cooking
Try to find pods that are small, crisp, brightly colored pods without brown spots. These young okra are tender and sweet in flavor.
Step 1. Place fresh okra in a colander. Wash and rub the fresh okra thoroughly under cold running water.
Step 2. Pat the okra dry with a paper towel and then let them sit to air dry completely.
Step 3. Slice the okra crosswise into evenly spaced rounds about ½-inch. Stem and ends cut off.
Next, prepare the breading mixture.
How to Make Okra Crispy:
To start, you need to set up two dishes and put them in the right order to simplify preparation and create less mess.
Step 1. In the first bowl, beat eggs and milk.
Step 2. Fill the second bowl or Ziploc bag with cornmeal, flour, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
Step 3. Dip half of the okra in the egg mixture; remove okra, letting excess drip off.
Step 4. Transfer the okra to cornmeal mixture, tossing to fully coat.
Step 5. Transfer coated okra to a large baking sheet.
Step 6. Repeat process using remaining okra. Chill in the fridge for about 15-30 minutes. Chilling the breaded food helps the breading ingredients solidify, and adhere better. It's a secret to keep the breading from falling off.
How to Cook Fried Okra in an Air Fryer:
Air frying okra is a quick process. However, most standard air fryers can only fit enough food for 2-4 servings. It's very important not to overcrowd the basket and you may need to work in multiple batches.
Here are some important steps to follow:
Step 1. Preheat air fryer to 400°F (200°C).
Step 2. Lightly grease the air fryer basket with cooking spray. Place breaded okra in a single layer and lightly spray them with cooking spray.
Step 3. Cook okra for 5 minutes. Shake the basket and continue cooking until lightly golden and crispy, about 5 minutes more.
Repeat this process with the remaining okra slices.
How to Freeze Fried Okra:
You can freeze some of the fried okra. Here's how to store the leftover fried okra:
- First, you need to cool them completely.
- Second, place the fried okra on a baking sheet in a single layer, freeze for 1-2 hours, and then transfer to a freezer bag or an airtight container.
- Third, store in the freezer. If properly stored, these fried okra will maintain the best quality for up to 3 months.
HOW TO COOK FROZEN FRIED OKRA IN AN AIR FRYER:
- Remove the fried okra from the freezer. Do not thaw!
- Next, once you’re ready to reheat, simply cook frozen fried okra in the preheated air fryer for the recommended time based on your air fryer brand/user manual (they do differ). Flipping halfway through.
I hope you will enjoy this recipe! If you try it, don’t forget to rate and leave a review on the recipe card/comment box below.
Check Out More Air Fryer Recipes:
- Air Fryer Calamari
- Air fryer tilapia
- How to cook perfectly crispy bacon in an air fryer
- How to air fry frozen fries
- Air fryer brussels sprouts
- Air fryer whole chicken
- How to cook bacon asparagus in an air fryer
- How to cook crispy zucchini fries in an air fryer
- Air fryer chicken thighs
Air Fryer Okra
- 8 oz okra, (wash, dry, and slice the okra crosswise about ½-inch each)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- black pepper, (to taste)
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and milk. In another large bowl or Ziploc bag, mix cornmeal, flour, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Dip half of the okra in the egg mixture; remove okra, letting excess drip off. Transfer the okra to cornmeal mixture, tossing to fully coat.
- Transfer coated okra to a large baking sheet or cooling rack. Repeat process using remaining okra. Chill in the fridge for about 15-30 minutes.
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F (200°C).
- Lightly grease the air fryer basket with cooking spray. Place breaded okra in a single layer and lightly spray them with cooking spray.
- Cook okra for 5 minutes. Shake the basket and continue cooking until lightly golden and crispy, about 5 minutes more.
- Repeat this process with remaining slices.