This air fryer tilapia is absolutely the healthiest and easiest way to fry fish to perfection! It's a cheap and easy meal making it great for those busy weeknights, but has the taste and wow-factor to make for a special meal, too. It's a low carb and keto-friendly.
Making your own fried fish is easier than you think, and with the help of an air fryer tilapia may become a meal you add to your regular rotation.
Air Fryer Tilapia
Do you like the taste of fried fish but are concerned about the health factor? Then this is the perfect solution for you.
This air fryer tilapia is the best way to cook a fish for the health-conscious eater.
Five years back I’d probably just fry fish up in a pan, not anymore. Air fryers are such game changers to get on a path to healthier eating habits, and a healthy fish meal is a great place to start.
The fish has a beautiful crispy golden crust and juicy flesh inside as if it just came out from a deep-fryer!
There’s no big mess to clean up and you aren’t getting all of that grease, either. The outside is seasoned with a bit of lime, kosher salt and black pepper. I also infused it with garlic which goes so well with the Tilapia taste!
I have actually been preparing this for my husband as a healthy option snack for him to munch on. He likes how tilapia has bigger bones that are simple to see and eat around. Each tilapia gives a good portion of fish to eat, so just one does the trick to fill him up.
Why You'll Love This Crispy Air Fryer Tilapia:
1. It’s a Cheap Dinner Idea that is actually Healthy
Tilapia is a freshwater fish and inexpensive. It's an affordable source of protein that is packed with selenium, vitamin B12, niacin and potassium. I bought the whole tilapia from my local Costco for about $3.99 per pound or around $2 - 2.50 per fish. I think that's a steal!
2. It’s the Best Way to Deep Fry Fish Without the Extra Calories
Frying fish in a ton of oil adds calories. To cook fish in an air fryer only requires about 2 tsp of oil.
3. It Uses a Simple Seasoning
I seasoned this tilapia with fresh lime juice, kosher salt, and black pepper. I also stuffed the cavity with garlic cloves to add flavor and aroma to the fish.
How to Cook Tilapia in an Air Fryer
Step 1. Marinate the Fish
Place the fish on a cutting board and use a sharp knife to cut three deep, diagonal slits on both sides of the fish.
Place the fish in a large bowl or large zip lock. Add lime juice and marinate the fish for about 20 minutes.
Step 2. Season the Fish
Remove the fish from the marinade, discard the liquid. Rub the inside and outside of the fish with 2 teaspoons of oil, then season with salt and pepper.
Stuff the cavity of the fish with smashed garlic cloves.
Step 3. Air Fry
In this recipe, I cooked the fish using my Gourmia 8qt air fryer. I think the best temperature to cook tilapia in an air fryer is at 400°F. Be sure to preheat the air fryer before adding the food.
Cook the whole tilapia for about 20 minutes, flipping the fish halfway through cooking.
Always check for doneness. If the fish is not ready, cook for 1-2 minutes and check it again. Continue cooking until the fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork, or until the safe internal temperature for cooked fish is 145°F.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- How to cook perfect crispy bacon in air fryer
- How to air fry frozen fries
- Air fryer brussels sprouts
- Air fryer whole chicken
- How to cook bacon asparagus in an air fryer
- Crispy okra
- Crispy zucchini fries
- Air fryer chicken thighs
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below! I'd appreciate it.
Air Fryer Tilapia
- 1 fresh whole tilapia , (about 1 pound) pat the fish dry with paper towels.
- 1 medium-size lime, (juiced)
- ½ tsp kosher salt, (for a smaller fish, use only ¼ tsp of kosher salt)
- ¼ black pepper
- 2 tsp vegetable or avocado oil
For the Cavity:
- 3-4 garlic cloves, (smashed)
- Place the fish on a cutting board. Use a sharp knife to cut three deep, diagonal slits on both sides of the fish, cutting all the way down to the bone.Transfer to a ziplock bag, add lime juice and marinate for 20 minutes.
- Remove the fish from the marinade. Give a little shake to remove excess liquid and discard the lime juice. Rub the inside and outside of the fish with oil then season with salt and pepper.Stuff the cavity of the fish with smashed garlic cloves.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F. Cook the fish for 20 minutes, flipping it halfway through cooking. Always check for doneness. If the fish is not ready, cook for 1-2 minutes and check it again. Continue cooking until the fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork.