If you are looking for a healthy and easy recipe to make for dinner tonight, this baked sausages with mixed vegetables recipe is for you. It's the perfect one-pan meal that you can serve to your family when you don't feel like cooking. The dish is both affordable and filling.
This baked sausages recipe doesn't require a long list of seasonings. It's a simple recipe that offers a big flavor on its own. Just throw all of the ingredients in a sheet pan, season, and bake to perfection.
The Ingredients for Baked Sausages
Sausage: You can use any type of sausage such as Italian sweet or hot sausages, bratwurst, kielbasa, etc. Just keep in mind that the sausage is the star ingredient of this dish, so you'll want to make sure to use a good quality brand that you know will taste good.
Seasoning: In this recipe, I seasoned the veggies with Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper. It's a simple seasoning mix that almost everyone has in their pantry. If you have cajun or taco seasoning, feel free to use it.
Veggies: Another great thing about this dish is that you can customize the ingredients by using vegetables of your choice.
I personally like to use a combination of summer squash, zucchini, onions, red bell pepper, and green bell pepper.
Other vegetables like broccoli, carrot, brussels sprouts, cherry tomatoes, and potatoes can also be used as replacement ingredients.
Potatoes require a longer cooking time. If you decide to use potatoes, make sure that you cut them into small bite pieces and/or cook the potatoes first before the other ingredients.
How to Bake Sausages with Mixed Vegetables in the Oven
Step 1. Season the Vegetables
- In a large baking sheet, add sliced bell peppers, sliced onion, diced zucchini, and diced squash.
- Season the mixed vegetables with olive oil, salt, black pepper, and Italian seasoning. Mix well.
Step 2. Add Sausages and Bake
- Place the sausages directly on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 425°F, until the sausages are cooked through and vegetables are tender.
FAQ and Cooking Tips
Properly stored, the baked sausages can last up to 4 days in the fridge or 2-3 months in the freezer.
Use a meat thermometer to determine the internal temperature. To prevent foodborne illness, uncooked sausages that contain ground beef, pork, lamb, or veal should be cooked to 160 °F. Uncooked sausages that contain ground turkey and chicken should be cooked to 165 °F. You can learn more about it here.
Yes, you can but you need to adjust the baking time. Fully cooked sausages only take about 10 minutes of cooking time in the oven.
Check Out More Tasty Recipes
- Oven-Baked Rosemary Chicken Thighs
- Baked Honey Mustard Chicken
- Roasted Yellow Squash
- Summer Squash Casserole
Baked Sausages with Mixed Vegetables
- a large baking sheet (about 13 x 18-inch )
- 1 pound Italian sausages
- 1 whole red bell pepper, (thick slices)
- 1 whole green bell pepper, (thick slices)
- 1 small to medium sized yellow or red onion, (sliced)
- 2 zucchini, (cut into half-moons)
- 2 squash, (cut into half-moons)
- 1½ teaspoon Italian seasoning , (or use thyme, oregano)
- ¾ teaspoon salt, (use more or less according to your liking)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2½ tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a large baking sheet ( 13 x 18-inch), season the veggies with olive oil, salt, black pepper, and Italian seasoning. Mix well.
- Place the sausages directly on a baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes at 425°F or until the sausages are cooked through and vegetables are tender.