Delicious blistered Shishito peppers cooked in a skillet with homemade chipotle seasoning and served with sour cream. The Shishito peppers have the smoky flavor and with the right amount of heat and saltiness.
These Blistered Shishito Peppers are the perfect summer party food or appetizer that can be ready in 15 minutes. Therefore, they are the perfect companion for any libation, including those non-alcoholic drinks. This blistered shishito pepper recipe is a tasty last-minute appetizer because it is insanely easy to prepare and is very affordable.
How to Make Blistered Shishito Pepper:
- First, I make the homemade Chipotle seasoning
- Second, I cook the Shishito peppers in a skillet with a small amount of oil.
- Third, I add some chipotle seasoning and salt to a skillet.
- Finally, I serve the peppers with sour cream.
Chipotle Seasoning Ingredients:
This simple homemade chipotle seasoning contains chipotle powder, smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. It gives a nice smokey and complex flavor to the dish.
What Is Shishito Pepper:
Shishito pepper is a sweet, East Asian variety of the species Capsicum annuum. It’s green, small, thin and long and about one out of every ten peppers is spicy. You can find more info about it here:
Shishito pepper is one of the most popular appetizer dishes at Japanese restaurants and bars. Very often they charge too much money for a small portion of it.
Where to Buy Shishito Peppers:
You can purchase Shishito Peppers at Trader’s Joe, Ralph’s, Jimbo’s market, or Sprout’s Market. It’s around $1.99 per 6 oz bag.
How Spicy is the Blistered Shishito Pepper:
The recipe has the name pepper in it and has Chipotle seasoning as an ingredient, but don’t let the name mislead you. This quick appetizer dish is actually not that spicy and very customizable. You can use less or more chipotle seasoning and salt to adjust spiciness and saltiness.
Dipping Sauce for Shishito Peppers:
I like to balance out the flavor of this dish. To do so, I served it with something creamy like sour cream. It’s simply amazing! As a result of the sauce, you’ll have a nice contrasting flavor and texture to the pepper. They are great together. Certainly, not everyone likes sour cream. Other dips work
Looking for a non-spicy alternative? Check out this OVEN ROASTED SHISHITO PEPPERS WITH GINGER AND LEMON
What to Serve with Shishito Peppers:
This shishito pepper dish is a party appetizer food. It can be a perfect nibble for any drink or a wide variety of meals, such as KOREAN PORK BULGOGI FUSION TACO RECIPE, ORANGE MARGARITA RECIPE WITH GINGER SYRUP AND LIME, WATERMELON MARGARITA RECIPE, GROUND BEEF QUESADILLA WITH CHIPOTLE SEASONING
An Attention Getting Appetizer
One fun thing about this appetizer is it gets a lot of attention every time I put it out. First, it’s not as common in the US as other appetizers, especially as a homemade dish. Second, it looks fun to eat! Reason being that people always assume it’s extremely hot, but as mentioned it doesn’t have to be. Third, the vibrant green color is itself an attention-getter. Lastly, you can have fun customizing it for your audience. Due to it having a lighter taste you can add more or less spice, or change them up to please the particular group (or yourself). That’s my favorite type of recipe: the ones you can change!
Blistered Shishito Peppers
- 6 oz Shishito Peppers (wash and dry well)
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon homemade chipotle seasoning (RECIPE BELOW) (or use more according to your liking)
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon sea salt (or use more according to your liking)
Homemade Chipotle Seasoning:
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
To Make Homemade Chipotle Seasoning:
- In a small pinch dish or mixing bowl, add chipotle powder, smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, garlic powder and onion powder. Mix well until well combined.
To Cook Shishito Peppers:
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add Shishito peppers to the skillet, keep tossing, turning frequently until they blister. The whole process should take about 10-15 minutes.
- About 1 minute before you remove the peppers from the skillet. Add 1/2 teaspoon chipotle seasoning and salt. Give it a quick stir, adjust seasoning by adding more chipotle seasoning and salt if needed or until you reach the desired taste.
- Serve with Sour Cream