Craving for some Mexican foods? You have got to try this dish. This Chicken Chile Verde recipe packs a powerful taste that can be rolled into a burrito, served up with some rice or with tortilla chips.
This is also the perfect party dish or lunch that you can make ahead of time, then kept it the fridge and re-heated when ready to eat.
This chicken chile verde contains a pretty long list of ingredients, but is actually quite easy and affordable to make.
I bought most of these ingredients from my local farmers market. If you are having a hard time finding the poblano chilies or Anaheim chilies, you can also opt for dried versions.
Chicken Chile Verde
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound tomatillos, (roughly cut into small pieces)
- 1 bunch green onions, (coarsely chopped)
- 1½ cups fresh cilantro with tender stems
- 6 cloves garlic, (minced)
- 1 ½ pound skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt, (slightly more as needed per your preference)
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cups large onion, (chopped)
- 5 pieces medium Poblano chiles, (cored, seeded, and diced)
- ¾ cup peeled seeded Anaheim chiles
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 inch cinnamon stick, (about 3-inch)
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- fresh cilantro
- Using a high speed blender, puree chicken broth with tomatillos, green onions, cilantro stems and fresh cilantro with tender stems. Set salsa verde aside.
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels, cut into 1 ½ inch pieces. Transfer to a large bowl, add salt/pepper, flour and toss to coat.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a Dutch Oven over medium heat. Add ⅓ of chicken, shaking any excess flour, then sear until golden brown on both sides for about 10 minutes. Transfer into a large bowl. Repeat this step to cook the remaining chicken pieces.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in the same Dutch Oven. Add the onion, Poblano, Anaheim chilies, cumin, paprika and cook until tender for about 4 minutes
- Add the chicken then pour in the salsa verde from step 1. Add oregano and a cinnamon stick and stir to combine. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium low. Simmer and stirring occasionally until the mixture thickens for about an hour. Season with salt/pepper as needed.
- Serve with tortilla or rice and fresh cilantro.