These tender, melt-in-your-mouth instant pot boneless beef short ribs can be ready in less than an hour. A very comforting dish that comes together easily all in one pot. It's the ultimate cold-weather comfort food!
Today, I am going to show you how to cook classic beef short ribs in the fastest and easiest way using an Instant Pot.
These tender Instant Pot beef short ribs simmered in a rich red wine sauce make a wonderful family dinner!
It’s the perfect instant pot meal that not only adults will love but your kids will enjoy it too (mine sure did).
This easy short ribs recipe is made of:
- Beef short ribs
- Dry red wine
- Beef broth
- Tomato paste
- Corn starch
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
If you're wondering what the best red wine is for stew: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah, Zinfandel, Sangiovese, and Cabernet are all great choices.
What are Boneless Beef Short Ribs?
Short ribs have lots of meats on them and they are the most popular cut for BBQ and also taste good for stew.
Boneless short ribs are cut from the chuck or plate, and consist of rib meat separated from the bone, which helps makes it perfect for this Instant Pot Boneless Beef Short Ribs recipe.
Boneless beef short ribs are larger and meatier than pork spare ribs.
As an alternative, the chuck roast is the best substitute when boneless short ribs are unavailable.
Beef Short Ribs Nutrition Facts:
Beef short ribs are rich in protein, and B12 but also high in fat.
A 3-ounce portion of ribs contains about 210 calories, more than 30 grams of total fat, and 13 grams of saturated fat.
Instant Pot Boneless Beef Short Ribs Cooking Time:
Cooking short ribs until tender can take up to 2 ½ hours (or even longer) in the oven.
With an instant pot, you only need to cook it for 30 minutes (plus 15 extra minutes for natural release) and an additional 2 minutes to cook the vegetable (carrots).
So, if you are looking for an easy braised beef short ribs recipe that has all the flavor and no fuss, this Instant Pot Boneless Beef Short Ribs recipe is for you. It's not only tasty but it will also save you hours of cooking time.
How to Cook Short Ribs in an Instant Pot:
While the list of ingredients may be long, this dish is actually pretty quick and easy to prepare. So, here are some important steps to follow:
Step 1. Brown the Short Ribs
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Heat oil in an Instant Pot, working in batches, and brown short ribs on all sides.
Step 2. Deglaze
- Deglaze the pan with dry red wine. As the liquid simmers, scrape up any crispy bits from the bottom of the Instant Pot with a wooden spoon or spatula to prevent burning.
Step 3. Pressure Cook
- Add all of the ingredients, including browned short ribs into the pot.
- Cook it on a manual setting for 30 minutes. When the cooking is done, let the Instant Pot release pressure naturally.
Step 4. Cook the Carrot
This is optional.
- Add chopped carrots into the pot and select the "manual" setting and cook for 2 minutes.
- When the cooking cycle is completed, quickly release the pressure.
What to Serve with Short Ribs:
I served these instant pot short ribs with egg noodles.
They taste perfect with polenta, or a burger bun too.
It’s also great game-day food. If busy prepping for other things while hosting, the braised short ribs can be a make-ahead meal.
How to Store Leftover Cooked Short Ribs:
When properly stored, cooked beef ribs will last for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator or up to 2 months in the freezer.
Check Out More Delicious Instant Pot Recipes
- Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
- Dry Rub Chicken Wings
- Korean BBQ Wings
- Brisket - Pulled Beef for Sliders
- Great Northern Bean Soup
I hope you'll enjoy this recipe and share it with friends! If you try it and don’t mind, please leave me a comment and/or give this recipe a rating. Be sure to subscribe to receive weekly recipes and follow me on Pinterest.
Instant Pot Boneless Beef Short Ribs
- 3 pounds boneless beef short ribs
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup dry red wine
- ½ cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 medium onion, (cut into 8 wedges)
- 4 garlic cloves, (minced)
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 carrots, (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1-2 tablespoon water
- fresh parsley, (chopped)
- egg noodle
- Brown the short ribs: Season boneless short ribs with 1 ½ teaspoon of kosher salt. Select the "Sauté" setting on high heat. When the IP displays “Hot”, heat the oil. Working in batches, add boneless beef short ribs. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Set aside.
- Deglaze: Add dry red wine. Stir and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the instant pot. Bring the red wine to a boil and cook until it is reduced by ⅓ for about 1 minute.
- Pressure Cook: Add beef broth, garlic, onion, dried thyme, paprika, tomato paste, black pepper, salt and browned boneless beef short ribs to the instant pot.Secure the lid and select the "Manual" setting. Adjust time to 30 minutes on high pressure. When cooking is done, let the IP release pressure naturally.
- Pressure Cook the Carrots: Open the lid. Add chopped carrots then secure the lid again. Select the "Manual" setting, adjust time to 2 minutes on high pressure. When cooking is completed, quick release to depressurize.
- To Thicken the Sauce: In a small bowl, mix in 1 tablespoon of water with 1 tablespoon of corn starch. Set the instant pot to "sauté", add the flour mixture and let stew simmer until thickened. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.
- Turn off the instant pot and sprinkle the stew with some fresh parsley. Serve immediately with egg noodles, polenta or on a bun.
First time making these and they were very good. Didn’t have wine, but just used beef broth....turned out very good. Had only 1 lb of meat but made the whole batch of gravy (could have made less) but plan to fix brown rice and use of the rest with roasted mushrooms! Thank you for sharing.
You're welcome, Linda! Thanks for sharing your feedback and what you did! I am sure other readers will find your comment very useful.
I adjusted for half the amount of spare ribs. Excellent result. Tasty an very tender.
Hi R Smith,
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback and what you did! I am glad that you liked it.
Great recipe! I’d totally reference it again!
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback! I am glad that you liked this Instant Pot Boneless Beef Short Ribs recipe.
This recipe was fantastic. I followed it almost to the letter - added about 1/4 cup extra water just to avoid a burn notice (happened to me once before when I used tomato paste). Also I did saute the onions after browning the meat, then de-glazed with the wine and went on with the recipe as written. For me, there was no need to thicken it with the cornstarch at the end. The ribs were tender and so flavorful. The sauce was perfect - in fact so good I wish there was more, would maybe increase that a bit next time. This recipe is a keeper! I just wish we didn't have to scroll through so much to get to the recipes, but that seems to be a thing everywhere.
Thanks for sharing your feedback and what you did! I am glad that this recipe turned out well for you. Also, you can go straight to the recipe card and skip the paragraphs by clicking on the "Jump to Recipe" button. It's located at the top of the content, under the title.
Awesome. I used 1/4 c bourbon instead of wine.
Thanks for taking the time to review this recipe! I am glad that you liked it 🙂
Haha thanks, Ron, glad this recipe hit baller status!
Making this recipe tonight, however just realized we have bone-in short ribs. Will the recipe still work, thinking I'll need to increase the pressure cooking time? Thanks!
Yes, it still works but you need to cook them for 45 minutes. Please let me know how it goes.
Very tasty..followed instructions, but wrapped chunked carrots in foil and placed on top of meat…had to cook the meat 10 minutes longer than recipe called for. Gravy was superb!
You will never go wrong cooking tough meet for a bit longer. Thanks so much for the feedback!
Made it tonight and loved it, thank you!
You're welcome. I am glad that it turned out well and that you loved it.