These tender, melt-in-your-mouth instant pot boneless beef short ribs can be ready in less than an hour. A very comforting dish that comes together easily all in one pot. It's the ultimate cold-weather comfort food!
Today, I am going to show you how to cook classic beef short ribs in the fastest and easiest way using an Instant Pot. These tender Instant Pot beef short ribs simmered in a rich red wine sauce make a wonderful family dinner! It’s the perfect instant pot meal that not only adults will love but your kids will enjoy it too (mine sure did).
Instant Pot Boneless Beef Short Ribs Ingredients
This easy short ribs recipe is made of:
- Beef short ribs
- Dry red wine
- Beef broth
- Tomato paste
- Corn starch
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
If you're wondering what the best red wine is for stew: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah, Zinfandel, Sangiovese, and Cabernet are all great choices.
What are Boneless Beef Short Ribs?
Short ribs have lots of meats on them and they are the most popular cut for BBQ and also taste good for stew.
Boneless short ribs are cut from the chuck or plate, and consist of rib meat separated from the bone, which helps makes it perfect for this Instant Pot Boneless Beef Short Ribs recipe.
Boneless beef short ribs are larger and meatier than pork spare ribs. As an alternative, chuck roast is the best substitute when boneless short ribs are unavailable.
Beef Short Ribs Nutrition Facts:
Beef short ribs are rich in protein, B12 but also high in fat.
A 3-ounce portion of ribs contains about 210 calories, more than 30 grams of total fat, and 13 grams of saturated fat.
Instant Pot Boneless Beef Short Ribs Cooking Time:
Cooking short ribs until tender can take up to 2 ½ hours (or even longer) in the oven. With an instant pot, you only need to cook it for 30 minutes (plus 15 extra minutes for natural release) and an additional 2 minutes to cook the vegetable (carrots).
So, if you are looking for an easy braised beef short ribs recipe that has all the flavor and no fuss, try this Instant Pot Boneless Beef Short Ribs recipe. It's not only tasty but it will also save you hours of cooking time.
CHECK OUT THESE DELICIOUS INSTANT POT RECIPES:
- GARLIC PARMESAN CHICKEN WINGS (NINJA FOODI + OVEN-BAKED INSTRUCTIONS)
- DRY RUB CHICKEN WINGS (OVEN-BAKED/INSTANT POT/NINJA FOODI)
- KOREAN BBQ WINGS (INSTANT POT + OVEN-BAKED INSTRUCTIONS)
- CHICKEN WINGS WITH BUFFALO SAUCE
- BLACK-EYED PEA SOUP WITH HAM HOCK AND SPINACH
- QUESO DIP RECIPE
- HAMBURGER HELPER
- CARNITAS – MEXICAN PULLED PORK
- BEEF STROGANOFF
- BRISKET AKA PULLED BEEF FOR SLIDERS!
- GREAT NORTHERN BEAN SOUP
- ITALIAN SAUSAGE KALE SOUP
How to Cook Short Ribs in an Instant Pot:
While the list of ingredients may be long, this dish is actually pretty quick and easy to prepare. So, here are some important steps to follow:
Step 1. Brown the Short Ribs
Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Heat oil in an Instant Pot, working in batches, brown short ribs on all sides.
Step 2. Deglaze
Deglaze the pan with dry red wine. As the liquid simmers, scrape up any crispy bits from the bottom of the Instant Pot with a wooden spoon or spatula to prevent burning.
Step 3. Pressure Cook
Add all ingredients, including browned short ribs into the pot. Cook it on manual for 30 minutes. When the cooking is done, let the Instant Pot release pressure naturally.
What to Serve with Short Ribs:
I served these instant pot short ribs with egg noodles. They taste perfect with polenta, or a burger bun too. It’s also a great game-day food. If busy prepping for other things while hosting, the braised short ribs can be a make-ahead meal.
How to Store Leftover Cooked Short Ribs:
When properly stored, cooked beef ribs will last for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator or up to 2 months in the freezer.
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below! I'd appreciate it.
Instant Pot Boneless Beef Short Ribs
- 3 pounds boneless beef short ribs
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup dry red wine
- ½ cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 medium onion, (cut into 8 wedges)
- 4 garlic cloves, (minced)
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 carrots, (chopped)
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1-2 tbsp water
- fresh parsley, (chopped)
- egg noodle
Brown the Boneless Beef Short Ribs:
- Season boneless short ribs with 1 ½ tsp of kosher salt.
- Turn on the instant pot and set it to "Sauté" and adjust to more high heat. When the Instant Pot displays “Hot” and you can start sautéing.
- Add vegetable oil and heat until it shimmers. Working in batches, add boneless beef short ribs and cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove from instant pot and set aside.
- Add dry red wine to the instant pot. Stir and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the instant pot. Bring the red wine to a boil and cook until it is reduced by ⅓ for about 1 minute.
- Add beef broth, garlic, onion, dried thyme, paprika, tomato paste, black pepper, salt and browned boneless beef short ribs to the instant pot.
- Follow the manufacturer's guide for locking the lid and preparing to cook. Set the instant pot to "manual" and cook at high pressure for about 30 minutes. When cooking is done, let the Instant Pot release pressure naturally.
Pressure Cooking the Carrots:
- Add chopped carrots to the pot and cook at high pressure for 2 minutes. When cooking is completed, quick release to depressurize.
To Thicken the Sauce:
- In a small bowl, mix in 1 tablespoon of water with 1 tablespoon corn starch. Set the instant pot to "sauté", add the flour mixture and let stew simmer until thickened. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.
- Turn off the instant pot and sprinkle the stew with some fresh parsley. Serve immediately with egg noodles, polenta or on a bun.