These Korean BBQ Wings are flavorful. They are crispy, spicy, sticky, savory, tangy have the perfect touch of sweetness. The sauce has a perfect consistency and seasoning, similar to BBQ sauce but less sweet! These Korean Chicken wings are the perfect party appetizer or game day food.
Craving for some Korean food? You probably have heard of Korean-style fried chicken before, and have maybe even ordered one from your local Korean restaurant. Korean crispy chicken wings recipe is made in multiple ways and often served with different types of sauces. They are so tasty and tempting. Today, I am going to show you how to make these Korean BBQ chicken wings that are incredibly delicious yet easy to make.
CHECK OUT MORE ASIAN RECIPES:
- SPICY SICHUAN NOODLES
- SWEET AND SOUR FISH
- HUNAN BEEF WITH CUMIN
- INSTANT POT MONGOLIAN BEEF
- SINGAPORE NOODLES (XING ZHOU MI FEN)
- GENERAL TSO’S CHICKEN (SWEET AND SAVORY DEEP-FRIED CHICKEN)
- VEGETABLE STIR FRY WITH TOFU
- BEST PORK TENDERLOIN STIR FRY
- ASIAN GROUND BEEF STIR FRY
- THAI SALAD DRESSING
- MINCED PORK NOODLES WITH HOISIN SAUCE
- CHINESE EGGPLANT WITH MINCED PORK
- SHRIMP AND GREEN PEAS STIR FRY
- SESAME NOODLES (MA JIANG MIAN)
Why You’ll Love these Korean BBQ Wings:
Unlike other Korean fried chicken you can find at Korean restaurants, these wings are made in a pressure cooker (Ninja Foodi 8-qt. 9-in-1 Deluxe XL Cooker & Air Fryer ) and used very little oil. There is no deep-frying or high-level cooking skill required. Serve this with Kimchi Fried Rice -Bokkeumbap (Easy and Flavorful) or Sweet Potato Noodles (Korean Japchae)
This Korean BBQ wings recipe is a healthier alternative for those who want to save on calories without sacrificing the taste! They are so tasty and tempting.
CHECK OUT THESE HIGH-RATED INSTANT POT RECIPES:
- INSTANT POT CHICKEN WINGS WITH BUFFALO SAUCE
- INSTANT POT QUESO DIP RECIPE
- INSTANT POT HAMBURGER HELPER
- INSTANT POT CARNITAS – MEXICAN PULLED PORK
- INSTANT POT BEEF STROGANOFF
- INSTANT POT BRISKET AKA PULLED BEEF FOR SLIDERS!
- INSTANT POT BEEF SHORT RIBS – BONELESS!
- INSTANT POT GREAT NORTHERN BEAN SOUP
- INSTANT POT ITALIAN SAUSAGE KALE SOUP
Don’t worry, this recipe will also work with Instant Pot or conventional oven. I will show you the complete instructions for each method on the recipe card below.
The chicken wings have the perfect crispiness on the outside (skin part), and the sauce is absorbed and flavors the meat inside without getting soggy.
Korean Chicken Wings Ingredients:
To make this Korean Chicken Wings recipe, you will need ground paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, garlic powder, Gojuchang sauce, ginger, garlic, honey water, sesame oil, ground mustard, and soy sauce. You can find all of these ingredients in your pantry, from local grocers or online.
Korean BBQ Sauce with Gojuchang:
Gojuchang is a popular Korean red chili paste that is a savory, sweet, and spicy fermented condiment made from chili powder, glutinous rice, Meju powder, Yeotgireum, and salt. It has a thick and sticky consistency and is spicy and pungent in flavor.
Gojuchang sauce is used in various Korean dishes from bibimpap, salad, stew, soups to marinated meat dishes for BBQ. I’ve posted a quite few recipes using Gojuchang here.
How to Make Korean Chicken Wings:
These wings are made using a pressure cooker. First, I seasoned the wings with dry seasoning, then cooked at high pressure for 5 minutes plus 15 minutes air crisp using my Ninja Foodi Pressure Cooker TenderCrisp . Once cooked and crisped, I dipped and coated the wings in a homemade sauce.
For non-Ninja users, you can follow the same directions, and just crisp the chicken in the oven instead of the air-crisp. I will also add some instructions for cooking these wings using a conventional oven.
Korean BBQ Wings
- 2 lbs chicken wings
- ½ tsp ground paprika
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder (salt-free)
Korean BBQ Sauce:
- 3 tbsp Gochujang
- 1 garlic (minced)
- ½ tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp pure honey (use more according to your liking)
- ½ tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- ½ tbsp water
- ⅛ tsp ground mustard
- sesame seeds or Furikake
- 5 dried chili pepper (soak in hot water for about 20 minutes, chopped)
Season the Chicken Wings with Dry Seasoning:
- Place the chicken wings into a large bowl. Use paper towels to pat dry the wings. Transfer to a bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, salt, paprika, and cayenne pepper.
- Sprinkle the seasoning all over the wings, toss to coat evenly using your hands or tongs.
Make the Korean BBQ sauce:
- In a small mixing bowl, mix in all the Korean BBQ sauce ingredients and stir to combine. Set aside.
Cooking Instructions for Instant Pot Users:
- Pour ¾- 1 cup of water into Instant Pot® and add a trivet or a steamer basket. Place the chicken into the trivet or steamer basket. Make sure the wings are not touching the water!
- Close the lid and make sure the pressure release valve is in the SEAL position. Select PRESSURE COOK and set HIGH. Set time to 5 minutes for fresh wings or 12-15 minutes for frozen. Select START/STOP to begin.
- When the cooking cycle is done and beeps, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes then turn the PRESSURE RELEASE valve to the VENT position. If the wings are below the minimum safe internal temperature of 165 °F, return to the instant pot and pressure cook the wings for an additional 2 minutes with quick release.
- Crisp the Chicken: Transfer wings into a large bowl and pour half the Korean BBQ sauce over the chicken wings and gently toss. Arrange the wings on the wire rack one above center position inside the broiler. Cook until crisp, about 4-6 minutes, turning pan once halfway through.
- Remove from the oven, pour in the remaining sauce, and chili peppers before serving, toss to coat. Serve with sesame seeds or Furikake.
Cooking Instructions for Ninja Foodi Users:
- Pour a cup of water into the pot. Place wings into the Cook & Crisp™ Basket and place basket in the pot.
- Close the lid and make sure the pressure release valve is in the SEAL position. Select PRESSURE and set HIGH. Set time to 5 minutes. Select START/STOP to begin.
- When pressure cooking is complete, quickly release the pressure by turning the PRESSURE RELEASE valve to the VENT position.
- Air Crisp the Chicken Wings: Make sure that your inner pot is dry. Close crisping lid. Select AIR CRISP, set temperature to 390°F, and set time to 15 minutes. Select START/STOP to begin. Open every 3-5 minutes to check for the crispness of your desire.
- When cooking is complete, transfer the wings into a large bowl and pour in the Korean BBQ sauce, and chili peppers. Toss to coat. Serve with sesame seeds or Furikake.
Non-Pressure Cooker Users OnlyTo Cook the Chicken Wings in the Oven:
- Season the chicken wings with dry seasoning + 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil (do not use olive oil). Toss to coat.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheets with foil and coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Transfer the wings, skin side up, to the prepared baking sheets. Do not overlap.
- Roast the chicken wings for about 35 minutes or until they are fully cooked and crispy. If the wings are below the minimum safe internal temperature of 165 °F, return to the oven and continue baking.
- Transfer the cooked and crispy chicken wings into a large bowl. Pour in the Korean BBQ sauce, toss to coat.
- Serve with sesame seeds or Furikake.