This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Mission®. All opinions are entirely my own.
In preparation for your Cinco de Mayo celebration or get-together I am going to share a delicious Instant Pot Queso Dip Recipe made from scratch; ground beef, diced tomatoes and green chilies, jalapenos, white onion, garlic, Monterey Jack, Sharp Cheddar, chili powder, cumin, butter, cornstarch, evaporated milk, salt and pepper. Pair it with Mission® Strips Tortilla Chips and you’ll be sure to wow your family and friends.
A cheese dip makes for the perfect Cinco de Mayo celebration appetizer. This Instant Pot Queso Dip recipe is made from real cheese, a big step up from dip sold in jars, and a homemade dish that can compete with the queso served at your favorite restaurants. It’s so creamy and cheesy. It’s super easy to make in the Instant Pot. True queso is eaten as a dip with crispy tortilla chips, but you can even serve this as a nacho cheese sauce to go well with other appetizers and dishes for any celebration.
In celebration of Cinco de Mayo, Mission is offering you a chance to win some great prizes! Right now you have a chance to play the Instant Win Piñata Game once every day from now until Cinco de Mayo. Prizes could vary from Mexico cruises to Google Home to Uber gift cards. You have until Cinco de Mayo to play. Click here to play today!
This Instant Pot Queso Dip is made with a combination of cheddar and Monterey jack cheeses, browned ground beef, chili powder, garlic, onion, cornstarch, evaporated milk, cumin, diced tomatoes and green chiles, jalapenos, black pepper and salt. The best part of making my own cheese dip is that I have more control on flavors and consistency. You can solely use white cheese (such as the Monterey jack) to make white queso dip. I personally like my dip to have more of an orange hue, so I often use more of the cheddar cheese.
To serve my Instant Pot Queso Dip recipe, I add some toppings that complement the dip very well, especially for a Cinco de Mayo celebration: guacamole, sour cream and fresh chopped salsa. To bring you the authentic Mexican restaurant experience, grab delicious Mission Strips Tortilla Chips that are made with 4 simple ingredients. There are no artificial flavors, colors or preservatives!
Mission Strips Tortilla Chips are great for dipping, layering or just by themselves. I am actually snacking on some right now while writing this post. 🙂 The Mission Strips Tortilla Chips and Instant Pot Queso Dip are a match made in heaven. They taste amazing together and the chips are sturdy enough to grab a good amount of dip every time.
Mission® Super Soft Flour Tortillas are also one of my favorite Mission® products. They are soft and delicious; I always stock up on Mission® Super Soft Flour Tortillas because they are great for all kinds of meals and snacks.
When my kids are craving quesadillas I just need to add some cheese and fry the tortilla in the skillet pan. Or, when I have some leftover meats I can make a burrito wrap for lunch. It hits the spot every time, yum! If you’re looking for other great recipes for your Cinco de Mayo celebration, visit Mission’s recipe page here.
On a final note, I found that many restaurants are actually a bit too conservative with their queso and don’t add very many ingredients. A few others I’ve been to add so much that it doesn’t even seem like queso anymore.
I really enjoy how all of the flavors that I listed play off of each other and give the queso a thicker consistency for my Mission Strips Tortilla Chips. Keep in-mind that it’s easy to scale back some of the ingredients that I listed if you prefer to do so.
- I used extra lean ground beef (92% or higher) to avoid greasy looking queso dip.
- I browned the ground beef in a regular skillet pan. Faster and easier to clean.
- To get a nice browned ground beef, I seasoned with a pinch of salt, and pepper. I let the beef sit in the hot pan undisturbed for about two minutes until it gets browned then flip on the other side, wait undisturbed for about two minutes then start breaking apart with a wooden spatula.
- To thicken the dip, I used cornstarch. To avoid grainy and raw flour taste in dip sauce, I make sure to melt in butter over medium heat and stir in cornstarch, cook for 1-2 minutes.
- I used block cheeses and grated them before cooking.
- 1 bag of Mission® Strips Tortilla Chips
- ½ pound lean ground beef at least 92%
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1-2 fresh jalapenos chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 can 12 oz evaporated milk or half n half
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies unsalted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt add more according to your liking
- black pepper to taste
- 3.5 cups American cheese I used a combination of Monterey Jack and Sharp Cheddar
- Fresh Salsa
- Sour Cream
- In a skillet pan, brown the ground beef meat over medium heat. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Let the meat sit undisturbed for about two minutes, flip and cook the other side, let the meat sit undisturbed for about two minutes. Start breaking the meat with a wooden spatula and the meat is fully cooked. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Turn on the Instant Pot to sauté over medium heat (normal). Melt butter and add cornstarch, cook for about two minutes to avoid grainy dipping sauce.
- Add chopped onion and jalapenos, keep stirring until fragrant, add garlic, chili powder, cumin, and stir for about 30 seconds.
Add 1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies, salt, black pepper and stir for about 10 seconds.
Pour half of the milk and keep cooking and scraping the bottom of the pan until the sauce is smooth and thick.
Pour and whisk in the remaining milk and add the ground beef. Press the Adjust button to increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil for about one minute. Stirring occasionally.
Stir in all the cheese and press the “stop” button to shut off the heat.
Cover the pot with the lid and let it stands undisturbed for about 3 minutes.
Remove the lid and whisk the mixture until smooth. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
Serve with guacamole, fresh salsa, sour cream and enjoy with Mission Strips Tortilla Chips.