This slow cooker creamy chicken wild rice soup with no flour is a hit! My husband who has never been a big fan of creamy soups couldn't stop eating this and enjoyed two bowls yesterday.
My husband grew up in Minnesota which is famous for its wild rice. The color, crunchy texture, and taste are very different from other rice varieties and can transform a dish or meal.
Why You'll Love this Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup:
This slow cooker creamy chicken wild rice soup is made with a simple seasoning blend.
It's a comforting, easy soup recipe that is perfect for those chilly, long days.
This chicken wild rice soup is something that can be prepared in the morning and be ready for you to dig into after a long day.
Wild rice has been a staple food for Minnesota's Indians for centuries. Despite its name, wild rice is not rice at all. Wild rice contains more protein, zinc, and potassium than both brown and white rice varieties.
Possibly the best component of my slow cooker creamy chicken wild rice soup is the wild rice itself.
Slow Cooker Creamy Wild Rice Soup without Flour:
To make this creamy Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup, I used organic heavy cream, but no flour.
I sautéed the mirepoix vegetables with butter before adding them into the slow cooker. This gives it a sweeter, heartier flavor. Mirepoix is a combination of aromatic vegetables for soups, stews, and braises that consists of chopped onions, celery, and carrots.
How to Make Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup In a Slow Cooker:
I poured in the wild rice blend about halfway through the cooking process for a harder texture.
Pouring the uncooked wild rice at the beginning is fine for a softer texture, which may entail adding a bit more broth but there is a chance you end up with a bowl of mushy wild rice soup.
So here are some important steps to follow:
Step 1. Prepare dried mushrooms for cooking
Soak dried mushrooms in hot water for at least 15 minutes before adding them to a dish. You can use the flavorful soaking liquid as part of the cooking ingredients, discard, or keep it for later use.
Please keep in mind that the flavor of soaking liquid is strong and can overwhelm the dish. For that reason, I highly recommend using the mushrooms without the soaking liquid.
Step 2. Cook the Aromatic Soup Base until Softened
Cook onion, garlic, carrots, mushrooms, and celery stalks in melted butter until softened to release their flavors and aromas.
Step 3. Place All Ingredients in a Slow Cooker
Place the aromatic soup base and vegetable mixture in the bottom of the crockpot. After that, put the chicken on top of the vegetables. Add bay leaf, thyme, and pour in low sodium chicken broth.
Step 4. Slow Cook
Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours.
Step 5. Add Wild Rice
Add wild rice into the slow cooker about halfway through the cooking process.
However, if you are worried about the rice getting too mushy by adding it at the beginning and don't have time to add it midway through cooking, you can use pre-cooked wild rice and add it to the slow cooker about 10 minutes before serving.
Please note, since wild rice comes in varieties of texture and brand, the length of cook time may affect the final result of this soup.
Step 6. Shred Chicken and Add Heavy Cream
About 20-30 minutes before the cooking is done, remove cooked chicken from the slow cooker and shred it into small pieces. After that, pour in heavy cream.
How to Store Leftover Chicken Wild Rice Soup:
First, let soup cool at room temperature but no longer than 2 hours. After it is completely cool, store it in an airtight container or in individual serving containers so you can reheat the soup easily.
Properly stored, this chicken soup can last up to 3-5 days in the fridge or up to 4-6 months in the freezer.
Want to try more tasty slow cooker soup recipes? Check out these: Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup and chicken pot pie
Products used in this recipe: Lundberg Wild Blend Rice, Organic Heavy Whipping Cream from Horizon.
Check Out More Tasty Soup Recipes
- FRENCH ONION SOUP
- CHICKEN CORN CHOWDER (STOVETOP INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED)
- CAULIFLOWER SOUP (LOW-CARB)
- CHICKEN CORN CHOWDER (STOVETOP
- BLACK-EYED PEA SOUP WITH HAM HOCK AND SPINACH
- POTATO LEEK SOUP (NO FLOUR ADDED)
- PEA SOUP – VEGETARIAN!
- ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP
- POTATO SOUP WITH BACON!
- GREAT NORTHERN BEAN SOUP
- ITALIAN SAUSAGE KALE SOUP
- PRESSURE COOKER PUMPKIN SOUP
- INSTANT POT CLAM CHOWDER
- EASY FISH CHOWDER RECIPE
Did you make this slow cooker chicken wild rice soup recipe? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below! I'd appreciate it.
Check out these popular recipes:
- INSTANT POT BEEF STROGANOFF
- INSTANT POT BRISKET AKA PULLED BEEF FOR SLIDERS!
- INSTANT POT BEEF SHORT RIBS – BONELESS!
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- 1 pound chicken breast
- ½ cup dried wild porcini mushrooms
- 1 medium yellow onion, (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves, (minced)
- ½ cup carrots, (finely chopped)
- ½ cup celery, (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1½ cups wild rice blend, (rinsed, do not use instant rice)
- 1 cup heavy cream (or add more until desired consistency is reached)
- 6-8 cups low sodium chicken broth, (add more if you like more liquid in your soup)
- 1 teaspoon salt, (to taste, add more according to your liking)
- black pepper, (to taste)
- 1 bay leaf, optional
- 1½ teaspoon finely chopped thyme, (Or use ½ teaspoon Poultry Seasoning)
- Place the porcini mushrooms in a small dish, add boiling water, leave to soak for some 15 minutes. Strain the soaking liquid before cooking.
- Heat the butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Toss in the onions, saute them until softened and browned.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the carrots, mushrooms, and celery stalks. Cook until softened.
- Place the vegetable mixture in the bottom of the crockpot.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables. Add bay leaf, thyme, and pour in low sodium chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours.
- Add wild rice into the slow cooker about halfway through the cooking process.Note: If you are worried about the rice getting too mushy, you can use pre-cooked rice, and add it to the slow cooker about 10 minutes before serving.
- About 20-30 minutes before the cooking is done, remove cooked chicken from the slow cooker and shred into small pieces. Pour in the heavy cream. The heavy cream will make the soup thicker and less liquid.
- Season with salt/pepper and serve immediately.
Oh my gosh, that looks really good. I love a good soup. Thanks for sharing.
The Trophy WifeStyle
Omg can we say yum?!? This soup
Looks absolutely delicious!! I must give your recipe a try
Yay!! I was looking for slow cooker recipe!! I'm like in love soup so you know I have to make recipe!
Hi, I was wondering if this can be frozen?
It's not recommended. Cream soups will get very thick after freezing and sometimes separate when you defrost and reheat them. If you have leftover cream soup, you can try reheat gently and add milk/cream until the desired consistency is reached.
Have you ever used frozen chicken in this? I think I'm going to because I'm a mom on the go and dont remember to take it out of the freezer until I'm ready to cook. I'm thinking because I've done other chicken recipes with frozen chicken that have turned out well, I can do this one too
12:33 PM (1 minute ago)
That's a great question. It is possible to use frozen chicken in a slow cooker but it's not recommended for safety reasons, per USDA guidelines. Frozen meat or poultry could spend too much time thawing in a slow cooker. The minimum safe internal temperature must register at 165°F and food-borne illnesses like Salmonella can spread quickly below 140°F.
Here's a great Q & A on the USDA page