This creamy chicken wild rice soup is a hit! My husband who was never been a big fan of creamy soups couldn’t stop eating this and enjoyed two bowls yesterday. This easy chicken soup cooks in a slow cooker crock-pot. I used organic heavy cream but no flour. I also poured in the wild rice blend about halfway through the cooking process for a harder texture (pouring in at the beginning is fine for a softer texture..it may entail adding a bit more broth).
Products used in this recipe: Lundberg Wild Blend Rice, Organic Heavy Whipping Cream from Horizon.
Follow Posh Journal on Facebook and Pinterest!
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1/2 cup dried wild porcini mushrooms
- 1 medium onion chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup carrots chopped finely
- 1/2 cup celery chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice blend (do not use instant rice)
- 1 cup heavy cream (or add more until desired consistency is reached) (pick organic like Horizon brand)
- 1 1/2 - 2 (32 oz) low sodium chicken broth (add more if you like more liquid in your soup)
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste (add more according to your liking)
- pepper to taste
- 1 bay leave optional
Place the porcini mushrooms in a small dish, add boiling water, leave to soak. *Note: Strain the soaking liquid before cooking.
Heat the butter in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat.
Toss in the onions, saute them until softened and browned.
Add the garlic and cook until soft.
Add the carrots, mushrooms and celery stalks and let it cook slowly until they soften.
Place the vegetable mixture in the bottom of the crockpot.
Place the chicken on top of the vegetables, bay leave and pour in low sodium chicken broth.
Rinse the wild rice thoroughly and pour it into the slow cooker at the beginning, or halfway through the cooking process if you desire a harder texture.
Cover and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours or high heat for 4 hours.
About 20-30 minutes before the cooking is done, remove cooked chicken from the slow cooker and shred into small pieces.
Pour in the heavy cream. The heavy cream will make the soup thicker and less liquid.
Season with salt/pepper.
More Tasty Recipes: