Creamy Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff. Fall-apart tender beef in the most flavorful sauce! The sauteed beef is smothered in a creamy, sour cream mushroom sauce, cooked in a pressure cooker.
This Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff is so tender and the sauce is packed with flavor. This one-pot creamy meal is perfect for any weeknight, and goes perfectly over a bowl of egg noodles!
This beef stroganoff is of our most popular Instant Pot recipes and highly rated! You can check out the reviews here!
What is Beef Stroganoff
Beef Stroganoff is a Russian dish of sauteed beef in a sauce. It has become popular in many parts of the world. Here in the US, the sauce consists of onion, mushroom, and sour cream. It's the perfect classic comfort food for dinner. Also, check out this CREAMY CHICKEN MARSALA and WHITE SAUCE PASTA (CREAMY AND GARLICKY) recipes.
The Quickest and Easiest Way to Cook Stroganoff
Today, I am going to show you how I cook the Beef Stroganoff using an instant pot or pressure cooker.
This instant pot beef stroganoff is made from scratch, which means we are not going to use a high-in-sodium canned soup!
To make the stroganoff more flavorful, I make sure to brown the beef so I can have those delicious browned bits that have always been my favorite. While the browned bits will add flavor to the dish, be sure to not burn them. You can prevent this by scraping the bottom of the pot periodically while cooking, deglazing.
I also cook the mushroom for a few minutes in a red wine reduction. The pressure cooker or instant pot will do its job to make the meat tender and infused with flavors in a shorter period of time.
CHECK OUT THESE TRIED, TESTED, AND POPULAR RECIPES:
Learn How to Make Beef Stroganoff in an Instant Pot
I’ve cooked Beef Stroganoff many times with an Instant Pot and each time I used different techniques, steps, and the number of ingredients to use. As a result, the beef stroganoff recipe below is the one that may be different from others you've tried, but I'm confident you'll like the taste. Above all, it has a rich sauce that adds to and compliments the overall flavor.
To make the Stroganoff in an instant pot, follow these steps:
- First, cook the beef until browned, working in two batches. I do not recommend that you dredge your meat in flour.
- Second, cook the sauce ingredients (except the corn starch and sour cream).
- Third, cook all the ingredients for 10 minutes in a manual setting.
- Lastly, thicken the sauce after pressure cooking with corn starch, then add sour cream to make it creamy.
A quick tip: always add your thickening agents after pressure cooking.
The reason being that a thickening agent can interfere with the steam being generated by your instant pot, which can cause your food to burn, or in certain dishes get too watery.
CHECK OUT THESE HIGHLY-RATED INSTANT POT RECIPES
- INSTANT POT QUESO DIP RECIPE
- INSTANT POT GOULASH
- INSTANT POT HAMBURGER HELPER
- INSTANT POT CARNITAS – MEXICAN PULLED PORK
- INSTANT POT BRISKET AKA PULLED BEEF FOR SLIDERS!
- INSTANT POT BEEF SHORT RIBS – BONELESS!
- INSTANT POT GREAT NORTHERN BEAN SOUP
- INSTANT POT ITALIAN SAUSAGE KALE SOUP
This is one-pot comfort food. This meal consists of beef sirloin steak, garlic, onion, red wine, Worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, beef broth, thyme, mushrooms, sour cream, corn starch, salt, and pepper.
I use red wine instead of white wine to add a more complex flavor and help tenderize the meat. Cabernet, Merlot, Pinot Noir, and Zinfandel are all good choices of wine for cooking. In this particular recipe, I prefer to use Merlot.
Browning the beef will take you about 2-3 minutes. Cooking your sauce ingredients takes about 4-5 minutes. Afterward, you still have to cook all of the meat and sauce ingredients together (except for the corn starch and sour cream). For this part I recommend 10 – 12 minutes on a manual setting with immediate release. To thicken the sauce with cornstarch takes less than a minute.
Best Beef Cut for Beef Stroganoff
I highly recommend that you use Beef Tenderloin or Beef Sirloin steak. However, it's a matter of preference and other cuts can taste good too, especially after soaking up the flavor from the mushrooms in the sauce.
I hope you'll enjoy this pressure cooker beef stroganoff recipe!
Check Out More Delicious Instant Pot Recipes
- INSTANT POT CHICKEN CORN CHOWDER (STOVETOP INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED)
- INSTANT POT BLACK-EYED PEA SOUP WITH HAM HOCK AND SPINACH
- PRESSURE COOKER PUMPKIN SOUP
- INSTANT POT POTATO LEEK SOUP (NO FLOUR ADDED)
- INSTANT POT BACON LENTIL SOUP (SO HEARTY)
- INSTANT POT SAUSAGE GNOCCHI SOUP (CREAMY ITALIAN GOODNESS)
- INSTANT POT CAULIFLOWER SOUP (LOW-CARB)
- INSTANT POT ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP
- INSTANT POT PEA SOUP – VEGETARIAN!
- INSTANT POT POTATO SOUP WITH BACON!
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- 1.5 pounds beef sirloin steak , (seasoned with ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper)
- 2 tablespoons oil, (divided)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups sliced yellow onions
- 2 garlic cloves, (minced)
- 1 pound cremini, (sliced)
- ¼ cup dry red wine for more complex flavor, or white wine (I used Merlot)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 3 sprigs of Thyme
- 1½ cups beef broth
- 1½ teaspoons Better than Bouillon, beef flavor, (OPTIONAL or use about 1-2 Beef Bouillon Cubes to add flavor to the dish according to your taste)
- ¼ teaspoon salt, (add more according to your liking)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, (add more according to your liking)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons corn starch , (mix with 2 tablespoons of water)
- 1 pound egg noodles, (cooked according to the product packaging)
Slice the Beef:
- Pound the beef sirloin and cut into thin strips. Transfer the beef strips into a bowl and season with ½ teaspoon of salt, and ¼ teaspoon of pepper.
Brown the Beef:
- Press"Saute" and adjust it to "High" setting. 1st batch: Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the instant pot and cook half of the beef for about 2-3 minutes total or until browned. Transfer to a bowl and set aside. 2nd Batch: Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the instant pot and cook half of the beef for about 2-3 minutes total or until browned. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Cook the Sauce Base:
- Add butter into the pot, then add onion, keep stirring and cook for about 2 minutes, then add garlic and give it a quick stir for about 15 seconds.
- Add mushrooms, keep stirring for about 1 minute. Then add red wine, cook for about 2 minutes or until the red wine is reduced by half.
- Add dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, better than bouillon, stir until well combined. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the pot to keep the pan clear and nothing is stuck on it.
Cook at High Pressure:
- Add the browned beef and the broth into the pot. Close the lid. Make sure the steam release knob is in the Sealed position.
- Select "Keep warm" then press "Manual" for 10 minutes and after cooking, Quick Release the pressure.
Thicken the Sauce:
- Open the lid and set the "Saute", adjust to "High" setting and bring the sauce to bubble. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed. Note: If the sauce is too thin, bring the mixture to a boil, continue cooking until the desired concentration is reached by evaporation.In a small bowl, add 2 tablespoons of corn starch with 2 tablespoons of water. Stir the mixture into the broth and keep stirring until the sauce is thickened. Turn off the heat, let the bubbles subside and stir in sour cream until well combined.
- Enjoy with cooked egg noodles.
Just made this, so much flavor! Wish I made more!
I am glad that you enjoyed this recipe. I agree with you! I always have to make more of this one as my kids can never get enough!
So good! I liked that this was easy to make dairy free for my kiddo who can’t have dairy. Just spooned some out for her before adding the sour cream and everyone was happy! Making this again tonight.
Thanks for sharing your feedback! I am glad that everyone in your family was able to enjoy this Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff recipe!