Crispy Baked Tofu with Thai Salad Dressing

baked tofu

How to Make Crispy Baked Tofu

Tofu is great source of protein for vegans (and everyone else). It’s an affordable protein and can be found in different varieties: Soft Tofu / Silken Tofu, Firm Tofu or Extra Firm Tofu.  I prefer to use the firm/extra firm for stir fry tofu with vegetables and soft tofu for smoothies, Chinese hot-pot recipes, Asian soups and vegan desserts. This crispy baked tofu recipe is so easy to make and much healthier that any deep-fried tofu recipes. It’s so quick to make, the result is also amazing, soft on the inside and crispy on the outside.

baked tofu

On my lazy days, I often bake tofu with salt and pepper, then use my favorite Asian sweet chile sauce as a dipping sauce. Today I am going to show you how I use baked tofu as the main protein ingredient for my salad, which great for lunch or dinner. This salad also features my favorite Asian Peanut Butter Sauce (Thai Salad Dressing) , also healthy and a good source of protein. Learn how to make crispy baked tofu without a ton of greasy oil and great flavor that the whole family will love! This baked tofu is the perfect addition to your salad or as your quick snack food that high in protein.

baked tofu

baked tofu

Crispy Baked Tofu Salad with Thai Salad Dressing
Cuisine: Asian
Servings: 2
Author: Posh Journal
Ingredients
  • To make Crispy Baked Tofu:
  • 14 oz Extra Firm Tofu
  • 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt or more according to your liking
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • Black Pepper to taste
  • Thai Salad Dressing/ Peanut Butter Dressing
  • For Salad :
  • Bag of mixed shredded broccoli and carrots you can find this pre-packed at most stores
  • 1/2 fresh lime juiced
  • leaves Fresh mint
Instructions
  1. Remove the tofu from its packaging and pat dry with paper towels
  2. Weigh the tofu down with the bottom part of a clean frying pan (use paper towel in-between if needed)
  3. Leave the pan weighing down on tofu for at least 15 minutes, until almost all the liquid is drained from the tofu
  4. Cut the tofu into pieces (I made small cubes this time)
  5. Sprinkle tofu with salt, garlic powder and black pepper. Let marinate for at least 10 minutes
  6. Preheat the oven to 400F
  7. Arrange the tofu on the baking sheet, lightly spray tofu on all sides with cooking spray. Be sure to leave enough space between tofu cubes and bake for about 7-10 minutes. Flip the tofu and keeping baking until the outside is golden and looks crispy, for about 7-10 more minutes
  8. Check on the tofu and do not over bake as it will then be chewier and harder.
  9. To make Salad:
  10. Arrange the shredded broccoli and carrots in a salad bowl
  11. Add fresh lime juice
  12. Add Crispy Baked Tofu
  13. Add some fresh mint
  14. Drizzle with homemade Thai Salad Dressing / Peanut Butter Dressing

baked tofu with homemade thai salad dressing. Bake without greasy oil, less calorie, packed with protein, quick easy lunch or dinner salad.

• Reply Alli Smith Aug 18, 2016 at 2:56 am

I do like tofu, but I rarely make it at home. I’ll have to try your crispy baked tofu and the thai salad dressing. I used to make my own thai dressing and I misplaced the recipe.

• Reply Robin Rue (@massholemommy) Aug 18, 2016 at 4:52 am

My sister in law loves tofu, so I am thinking that she will be a BIG fan of this recipe. Sending it to her now.

• Reply jmanandmillerbug Aug 18, 2016 at 5:47 am

Unfortunately for me I cannot eat tofu, but I do have a lot of friends that love it, and my nephew who is one years old it’s his favorite snack.

• Reply Annemarie LeBlanc Aug 18, 2016 at 6:43 am

Interesting way to serve tofu. I’ve never had that baked. It was always fried and crispy. I have to try that thai salad dressing too. I think it would also go well in other salads.

• Reply Jenn @ EngineerMommy Aug 18, 2016 at 6:54 am

I love tofu and I am always looking for new ways to enjoy it. This looks and sounds like a fabulous recipe. I can’t wait to try this dish this weekend.

• Reply Sarah Aug 18, 2016 at 7:37 am

What a delicious idea, this looks scrumptious. I think it sounds easy enough to make this baked tofu thai salad dressing. I will have to try this dish.

• Reply Francisca Ramos Aug 18, 2016 at 7:46 am

I never tried tofu. I wonder what it taste like. Your tofu thai salad dressing sounds so good. I have to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Pam Wattenbarger Aug 18, 2016 at 8:51 am

My daughter likes to eat vegetarian as much as possible. I am sure she would enjoy this.

• Reply tiarasandtantrums Aug 18, 2016 at 11:32 am

Yum! This looks like the perfect lunch for me to make and pack up for back to school lunches for myself and my daughters.

• Reply lisa Aug 18, 2016 at 12:04 pm

I have never tried tofu, and am hesitant to make my own. This recipe looks and sounds amazing though so I may have to try it!

• Reply Jeanine Aug 18, 2016 at 12:13 pm

That is one thing I have never tried – Tofu. Would love to give it a try and see if I like it. This would be a great dish to try it out with. Looks and sounds just delicious!

• Reply littlemisscant Aug 18, 2016 at 12:28 pm

I am not sure if I have ever had Tofu to be totally honest with you so all of this is new to me. I didn’t even know it was a sources of protein! This looks like it would be delicious so I am going to add it to our must try list.

• Reply NPC Aug 18, 2016 at 5:36 pm

That looks so delicious! Not a big tofu fan but I’d so eat that! Great recipe I’ll have to try it one day! Thanks!

• Reply Terri Ramsey Beavers Aug 18, 2016 at 11:08 pm

I can’t say that I’ve ever tried tofu before but I’ll have to change that. I’d love to try it in your salad recipe soon.

• Reply Nicole Haas Etolen Aug 19, 2016 at 12:08 am

I’ve never tired it but I’m pretty sure that it’s delicious and I love trying new foods.

• Reply Rebecca Swenor Aug 19, 2016 at 1:01 am

This looks like a great baked tofu with thai salad dressing. I have never tried Tofu before so this would be a great recipe to try it in for sure. The dressing I would actually have to change for myself because I don’t like vinegar. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

• Reply Natalie Z Aug 19, 2016 at 9:51 am

I have never actually had tofu. However I have 2 vegetarian sisters-in-law so this would be great for their next visit!

• Reply Melanie Aug 20, 2016 at 9:12 pm

I used to eat tofu a lot when I was in college but I can’t say that I’ve made it this way before. Sounds good!

• Reply mimicutelips Aug 22, 2016 at 2:31 pm

I’m not a fan of tofu, but the thai salad dressing sounds really good.

• Reply Thai Salad Dressing - Posh Journal Nov 5, 2016 at 9:05 am

[…] I love to make my own salad dressings because they are healthier and cheaper than the store-bought stuff. My Thai Salad Dressing or Thai  Peanut Sauce recipe makes a great dip for fresh spring rolls, egg rolls or for a homemade asian salad. This thai peanut butter salad dressing is so easy to make and you can find most of the ingredients in your pantry. It’s a flavorful dressing with peanut butter, apple cider vinegar, agave and doesn’t have fish sauce. You can’t go wrong with this 5-minute salad dressing recipe and be sure to check out this Crispy baked tofu salad recipe […]