In this recipe, you will learn how to cook frozen tempura shrimp in an air fryer. The tempura shrimp is cooked to perfection, so crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside. It's so quick and easy!
If you've always wondered how to cook frozen tempura shrimp from Costco in the best way please read on and I will guide you through the process. This air frying method is much faster than the oven, and the shrimp tempura can be ready in about 11-12 minutes.
What is Tempura Shrimp
Tempura shrimp is one of the most popular appetizers you can find at any Japanese restaurant.
The dish usually consists of shrimp that have been battered in flour and panko mixture and deep-fried. The breaded shrimp are most commonly served with a Ten-tsuyu dipping sauce on the side. Even though tempura origins in Japan, it was actually introduced by the Portuguese in the 16th century.
Costco Kirkland Tempura Shrimp
Homemade tempura is made of simple ingredients but can be quite messy to make due to the amount of oil used. This is why I always make sure I am fully stocked with Kirkland tempura shrimp in my freezer. They are so delicious and are the perfect after-school snack that my kids always love.
The Best Temperature to Cook Frozen Tempura Shrimp in an Air Fryer
In this recipe, I used Kirkland Tempura Shrimp. The company recommended cooking the tempura shrimp at 400°F in the oven.
I've tried many temperatures for cooking shrimp tempura in the air fryer, and I believe that 375°F is the best temperature.
At 375°F the outer and inner parts of the shrimp tempura finish at the same time and rate. As a comparison, when I cooked the tempura at a higher temperature (400°F), the tempura turned really browned and overly crunchy while the inner breading was still a bit mushy.
How Cook Frozen Tempura Shrimp in an Air Fryer
Step 1. Preheat the Air Fryer
Preheat the air fryer and set the temperature to 375°F.
Step 2. Place the Frozen Shrimp Tempura in an Air Fryer
- Do not thaw the frozen shrimp tempura.
- There is no need to grease the air fryer basket with oil or cooking spray.
- Arrange the shrimp tempura on an air fryer basket. Do not overcrowd and work in multiple batches if necessary.
Step 3. Air Fry the Tempura
- Cook the frozen shrimp tempura in an air fryer for about 12 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Please note that due to differences in all air fryers and tempura heating instructions may need to be adjusted.
FAQ and Cooking Tips
It depends on the size of your air fryer and what you're cooking. In this recipe, I used my Gourmia 8 qt air fryer. The air fryer basket is big enough to cook up to 7 pieces of tempura shrimp per batch.
No, you don't need cooking spray.
You can store the leftover tempura in an airtight container. Properly stored, it can last 2-3 days in the fridge.
You can reheat the leftover tempura shrimp in the air fryer at 300°F for about 5-8 minutes, filliping halfway through or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Check Out More Air Fryer Recipes
- How to cook fish sticks in an air fryer
- Air fryer tilapia
- How to cook perfectly crispy bacon in an air fryer
- How to air fry frozen fries
- Air fryer brussels sprouts
- Air fryer whole chicken
- How to cook bacon asparagus in an air fryer
- Air fried okra
- How to cook crispy zucchini fries in an air fryer
- Air fryer chicken thighs
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below! I'd appreciate it.
Air Fryer Frozen Tempura Shrimp
- an Air Fryer
- 5 pieces of shrimp tempura
- Preheat the air fryer and set the temperature to 375°F.
- Place the tempura shrimp in an air fryer basket, in a single layer.
- Cook the frozen tempura shrimp in an air fryer for about 11-12 minutes, flipping halfway through.