Green Beans Almondine, an easy side dish recipe for any weeknight or holiday dinner! It's so delicious and refreshing, a crowd-pleasing side dish to accompany any meal!
Green beans almondine is a classic French recipe that simply means green beans with almond. Unlike most French recipes, this French-Style Green Beans With Almonds recipe comes together quickly and requires minimal ingredients. It's so flavorful, healthy, and perfect for busy weeknights!
This green bean almondine makes for a lighter and healthier alternative to the traditional Christmas side dishes.
About This Green Beans Almondine Recipe:
Green beans almondine aka Haricots Verts Amandine may sound fancy and complicated, but it's not. This French side dish is simply fresh green beans sautéed in butter, garlic, freshly grated lemon zest, and a small amount of lemon juice then tossed with toasted sliced almonds.
The acidity of lemon juice gives this dish a fresh, clean taste. It makes the butter sauce less greasy and brightens the overall flavor of a dish.
The sliced almonds were toasted in brown butter, making them crunchier. Doing so also brings out more fragrance, and intensifies their natural sweetness flavor.
This green beans almondine is also low carb and keto-friendly.
The Basic Ingredients for French-Style Green Beans With Almonds:
To make this low carb side dish, you need the following ingredients:
- Green beans. You can use regular green beans or French green beans (also called Haricots Verts). This type of green bean is slightly longer and skinnier than regular green beans. It requires faster cooking time, more tender, and more flavorful but also a bit more expensive than regular green beans.
- Garlic or shallots, or use a combination of both.
- Lemon and lemon zest
- Sliced almonds with skin on
- Unsalted butter
French green beans (also called Haricots Verts) is available at Trader's Joe, Whole Foods, and other grocers.
Check Out More Delicious French Food Recipes:
- CHICKEN CHASSEUR (FRENCH HUNTER’S CHICKEN)
- FRENCH ONION SOUP
- COQ AU VIN (FRENCH CHICKEN IN WINE SAUCE)
How to Make Green Beans Almondine:
This recipe requires simple preparation and cooking technique. So here are some steps to follow:
Step 1. Blanch the Green Beans
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and prepare an ice bath. Add green beans and cook for 3 minutes or until tender-crisp.
Or If you are using Haricots green beans, you only need to blanch for 45 seconds to 1 minute (or follow the instructions of the product packaging).
Immediately, transfer the blanched green beans to an ice bath. Allow to chill completely, then drain with paper towels to remove excess liquid.
Step 2. Toast the Sliced Almonds
Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add sliced almonds, cook and stirring frequently, until almonds are golden browned and nutty for about 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Step 3. Stir in the Blanch Green Beans
Melt the remaining butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and cook just until fragrant. Add blanched green beans, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Cook and keep stirring just until warm enough.
Lastly, transfer green beans to a platter. Pour almonds over and serve.
Is Blanching Green Beans Necessary?
Blanching helps tenderize the green beans. It also brightens the color, prevents loss of flavor, texture, and vitamins.
Like many other vegetables, green beans should first be blanched before freezing.
Make-Ahead French-Style Green Beans With Almonds
Here's how to prepare a day in advance:
- Blanch the green beans, let dry, cool, then transfer to an airtight container and chill.
- Toast the sliced almonds, cool, then transfer to an airtight container
- To serve, cook the garlic and the blanched green beans in melted butter then stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice, and sliced almonds. Continue cooking just until warm enough.
How to Store Leftover Green Bean Almondine:
First, you need to cool the Green Beans Almondine completely. After that, store it in an airtight container. Properly stored, it can last 3-5 days in the fridge or up to 10 months in the freezer.
CHECK OUT MORE DELICIOUS SIDE DISH RECIPES:
- AIR FRYER BACON WRAPPED ASPARAGUS
- HOMEMADE CRANBERRY SAUCE WITH ORANGE JUICE
- ROASTED SWEET POTATOES
- INSTANT POT MASHED SWEET POTATOES
- ROASTED YELLOW SQUASH WITH PARMESAN CHEESE AND HERBS
- INSTANT POT COLCANNON – IRISH MASHED POTATOES
- ROASTED BABY POTATOES WITH ROSEMARY AND GARLIC
- MOROCCAN COUSCOUS WITH CURRANTS AND PINE NUTS
- ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH PANCETTA AND APPLE
- HASSELBACK BUTTERNUT SQUASH WITH BROWN BUTTER SAGE
- CAULIFLOWER STUFFING (LOW CARB AND HERBY)
- BUTTERNUT SQUASH GRATIN
Green Beans Almondine
- 1 pound green beans, (preferably haricot verts, trimmed)
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon lemon zest, (lightly packed)
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter, (divided)
- ½ cup sliced almond with skin-on
- ½ tablespoon minced garlic
- kosher salt, (to taste)
- In a large pot, bring 4 quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil and prepare an ice bath.
- Add green beans and cook for 3 minutes or until tender-crisp. For Haricots green beans, blanch for 45 seconds. Immediately, transfer the blanched green beans to an ice bath. Allow to chill completely, then drain with paper towels to remove excess liquid.
- Melt 1½ tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add sliced almonds, cook and stirring frequently, until almonds are golden browned and nutty for about 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat. Set aside.
- Melt the remaining butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in the garlic and cook just until fragrant. Add blanched green beans, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Cook and keep stirring just until warm enough. Add a pinch of kosher salt if necessary.
- Transfer green beans to a platter. Pour almonds over and serve.