This Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes recipe is a quick and easy side dish that goes well with any meal or holiday dinner. The sweet potatoes are seasoned with fragrant fall spices that make this dish even more comforting. It's sweet, savory, aromatic, buttery, and smooth!
Today, I am going to show you how to make a simple fall side dish that uses just a few ingredients but rich and creamy in flavor! This Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes recipe only takes 8 minutes of cooking time at high pressure - it doesn't get easier than that! It's definitely the perfect last-minute side dish to make for Christmas or Thanksgiving!
To make this crowd-pleasing holiday side dish, you need the following ingredients; sweet potatoes, maple syrup, unsalted butter, heavy cream, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Sweet potatoes are so nutritious and a lower-calorie, high-fiber alternative to starchy potatoes. They are available all year round and very inexpensive! For this recipe, you need about 2 pounds of sweet potatoes. Make sure to peel and cut them into an inch thickness so they cook faster and more evenly.
Cinnamon and nutmeg are must-have fall spices for your pantry. Both spices are commonly used to spice up sweet potatoes! In this recipe, I only used about ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon and ¼ teaspoon of ground nutmeg.
Heavy cream and butter will add creaminess and buttery flavor to the potatoes. Feel free to substitute the heavy cream with half n half, milk, sour cream, or non-dairy milk such as coconut or almond milk according to your preference.
Maple syrup is a natural sweetener. The complex maple flavor goes well with sweet potatoes. The best substitutes for maple syrup are sugar or honey.
How to Cook Mashed Sweet Potatoes in an Electric Pressure Cooker:
There is nothing complicated about this sweet potato dish! It only requires a small amount of preparation, such as scrubbing, washing, peeling then chopping the sweet potatoes into an-inch thickness chunks before pressure cooking.
So here are some easy steps to follow while cooking these mashed sweet potatoes in an instant pot or with any electric pressure cooker you may have at home, such as Ninja Foodi.
- First, make sure that you have a trivet or steamer basket ready to use, such as this Instant Pot Stainless Steel Official Wire Roasting Rack or Adjustable Steamer Basket.
- Second, pour about 1 cup of cold water or chicken broth then place the steamer in the inner pot of a 6-quart Instant Pot.
- Third, place the sweet potato chunks in the steamer basket and make sure the potatoes are not touching the water!
- Next, close the lid and make sure the pressure release valve is in the SEAL position. Select PRESSURE COOK and set HIGH. Set time to 8 minutes, then Quick Release when the cooking cycle is completed.
- After that, place the cooked sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Add unsalted butter, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and maple syrup. Use a fork to lightly mash the sweet potatoes to whatever consistency you like. Stir to combine and adjust the seasoning with a pinch of salt or spices.
Serve this mashed sweet potatoes side dish with this PRESSURE COOKER TURKEY BREAST.
Storing the Leftover
You can store the leftover mashed sweet potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Check Out More Tasty Side Dish Recipes:
- ROASTED YELLOW SQUASH WITH PARMESAN CHEESE AND HERBS
- ROASTED BABY POTATOES WITH ROSEMARY AND GARLIC
- HASSELBACK BUTTERNUT SQUASH WITH BROWN BUTTER SAGE
- BUTTERNUT SQUASH GRATIN
- TOMATO CUCUMBER SALAD (WITH RECIPE VIDEO 🎥)
- SHRIMP AVOCADO MANGO SALAD
- CAULIFLOWER STUFFING (LOW CARB AND HERBY)
- SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE | CHEESY AND HEALTHY – WITH RECIPE VIDEO 🎥
- SKILLET FRIED CORN – BUTTERY!
- CAPRESE SALAD – FRESH TOMATO, MOZZARELLA WITH BASIL
- CHEESY SCALLOPED POTATOES – CREAMY AU GRATIN
- VEGETARIAN BROCCOLI SALAD – CREAMY AND CRUNCHY!
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 cup cold water or chicken broth
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, (cut into thin slices)
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes. Scrub and wash the sweet potato under running water then cut them into chunks that are no larger than 1-inch.
- Add liquid. Pour about 1 cup of cold water or chicken broth then place the steamer in the inner pot of a 6-quart Instant Pot.
- Add sweet potatoes. Place the sweet potato chunks in the steamer basket and make sure the potatoes are not touching the water!
- Pressure cook. Close the lid and make sure the pressure release valve is in the SEAL position. Select PRESSURE COOK and set HIGH. Set time to 8 minutes. Select START/STOP to begin.When the cooking cycle is done and beeps, quickly release the pressure.
- Mash the sweet potatoes. Carefully remove the sweet potatoes from the heat and transfer them to a large bowl. Add unsalted butter, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and maple syrup. Use a fork to lightly mash the sweet potatoes to whatever consistency you like. Stir to combine. Adjust the seasoning with a pinch of salt or extra spices.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve warm. Enjoy!