This sheet pan Harissa chicken recipe is so delicious, hearty and comforting! It’s the perfect sheet pan dinner recipe for any weeknight, and it’s low carb. The chicken thighs are roasted in a flavorful harissa marinade sauce along with healthy vegetables. The chicken meat is both juicy and tender!
If you have recently purchased Harissa Paste from Trader’s Joes and don’t know what to do with it. Well, Today, I am going to show you how to use the Harissa paste on another delicious one sheet pan recipe that is loaded with flavors and is very healthy, too. This Harissa roasted chicken is inspired by North African cuisine. It’s made from easy seasoning ingredients that you can find in your pantry or local markets.
Harissa Chicken Ingredients:
This harissa chicken recipe is made with chicken thighs and seasoned with harissa paste, greek yogurt, garlic, smoked paprika powder, rosemary, cinnamon, honey, salt, and pepper. It’s easy to prepare, cook and even clean up.
If you are looking for good chicken recipes, don’t wait any longer, make this Harissa chicken for dinner tonight!
Check out More Delicious Chicken Recipes:
- MEDITERRANEAN ROAST CHICKEN WITH VEGGIES
- THAI BASIL CHICKEN (PAD KRAPOW GAI)
- SUN-DRIED TOMATO CHICKEN BREAST WITH CREAM SAUCE
- HEALTHY BAKED CHICKEN TENDERS (AKA CHICKEN STRIPS)
- SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOM GRAVY
- PANKO BREADED CHICKEN KATSU
Here’s why you will love this Harissa chicken recipe:
- It has the perfect balance of spiciness, saltiness, and sweetness.
- The chicken meat is moist, juicy, tender and perfectly flavored with herbs and spices.
- It’s inexpensive and made with easy ingredients that you can find in your pantry.
- The roasted chicken juice is savory, so you can throw any vegetables of your choice in with it and there is no need to add seasoning!
What is Harissa:
Harissa is a hot chili pepper paste that originally comes from North Africa (Tunisia and Libya). It is smoky, spicy and aromatic. The condiment is usually made with roasted red peppers, garlic, caraway seeds, coriander seeds, cumin, and olive oil. It’s commonly used in soups, stews, and as a flavoring for couscous.
Harissa comes in a variety of forms, such as harissa powder, harissa paste or harissa sauce.
For this recipe, I am going to use the Harissa paste that I purchased from local Trader’s Joe. It’s quite inexpensive, around $3 per jar and no compromise on flavor.
Harissa paste is available at any International market, Trader’s Joe or Amazon.com.
A quick tip for storing Trader’s Joe Harissa Paste (coming from someone who has purchased Harissa paste from Trader’s Joes many times): I’ve noticed that the paste will grow some mold quickly within 2-3 days after opening, even when I stored it in the fridge. For this reason, I highly recommend that if you have some paste leftover you store it in the freezer.
How to Make the Harissa Chicken:
This roasted Harissa chicken recipe is so easy to prepare and to cook. It only requires 30 minutes, and up to 2 hours of marinating time in the fridge.
The first thing you need to do is to mix all the marinade sauce ingredients in a ziplock, then add chicken thighs. You’ll then need to massage the chicken with the paste so the meat can absorb the sauce during marinating.
I roasted the chicken thighs in the oven at 425°F for about 20 minutes. Then I removed the chicken from the heat, added some chopped red onions and bell peppers before continuing to cook it in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the thermometer reads 165°F.
If you are not a big fan of chicken thighs, feel free to use boneless chicken breasts. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time to around 18-20 minutes at 450°F, or until the thermometer reads 165°F. Because the cooking time is shorter, you can add the veggies at the beginning.
For this recipe, I highly recommended adding some red onion, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and green olives. However, feel free to use any other vegetables that you like. Cauliflower and garbanzo beans will also be a perfect addition to this one sheet chicken meal pan.
What to Serve with Harissa Chicken:
Pair this harissa chicken with couscous or rice. For low carb dieter, serve this harissa chicken with your favorite salad.
Also, check out these delicious side dish recipes:
- SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE – CHEESY AND HEALTHY
- ELOTES MEXICANOS – MEXICAN CORN SALAD
- EASY KETO CREAMED SPINACH – SO CHEESY!
- SKILLET FRIED CORN – BUTTERY!
The chicken thighs are roasted in a flavorful harissa marinade sauce along with healthy vegetables. The chicken meat is both juicy and tender!
- 8 pieces bone-in chicken thighs (about 4 pounds)
- 6 tbsp greek yogurt (regular or whole milk)
- 4 tbsp Harissa paste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp 100% honey
- 2 tsp dried rosemary (or about 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3 tsp salt (or use more according to your liking)
- 1 extra large green bell pepper (Cut the pepper into medium strips).
- 1 extra large red bell pepper (Cut the pepper into medium strips).
- 1 large red onion (cut into big chunks)
- Green Olives
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Place a ziplock bag over a bowl. Add to it yogurt, harissa paste, minced garlic, dried rosemary, cinnamon, smoked paprika, honey, salt, and pepper. Stir until well combined.
Add chicken thighs into the ziplock, then seal tightly and spread the paste all over the chicken. Give it a quick massage so the meat is fully covered with the marinade sauce.
Let it stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Transfer the chicken thighs with skin side up onto a large sheet pan. Roast the chicken for 20 minutes.
Remove the chicken from the heat, then toss the red onion, bell peppers lightly. .
Put the pan back into the oven. Cook for 20 minutes or longer or until the thermometer reads 165°F
Turn off the oven, remove the chicken from the oven and add some fresh olives (optional) before serving.