Buttery, moist and a perfect brioche French toast recipe. The best Brioche French Toast that is seasoned with aromatic spices. The toast is firm-yet-tender and is so fluffy to bite into. This is a classic brunch recipe that will keep everyone happy and asking for more!
Brioche French Toast
Learn how to make an amazing French toast below. This French toast is a breakfast dish made of thick-sliced Brioche bread soaked in eggs and milk, is infused with aromatic spices, then is fried on a skillet. It’s served with maple syrup, and additional toppings like jam, fruits, and powdered sugar.
The Best Bread for French Toast:
One of the most important keys to making a good French toast is choosing the right bread. Ideally, the bread shouldn't be too thin or thick, so bread, like Brioche, Challah, or Italian loaf bread that are several days old are all ideal choices for French toast.
In this recipe, I used Brioche bread because of its firm texture. A good French toast will require good soaking time to let the egg mixture penetrate the bread. That makes Brioche an ideal choice for this recipe instead of thin-sliced bread.
I purchased the Brioche from Trader's Joes.
Check out more brunch recipes:
- EGG AND BAKED BEANS BREAKFAST RECIPE (4-INGREDIENTS)
- MEXICAN BREAKFAST TOAST
- HAM AND CHEESE PULL-APART BREAD CASSEROLE
- DUTCH BABY PANCAKE WITH STRAWBERRY COMPOTE
- SAVORY CREPES WITH SAUSAGE, BACON AND ROASTED VEGETABLES
- BREAKFAST POTATOES SKILLET WITH KIELBASA SAUSAGE
French Toast Seasoning:
This simple French toast is seasoned with cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg. I used a little bit of sugar to add sweetness to the bread. If you are watching your sugar intake feel free to skip it as it tastes good with or without the added sugar.
Butter and Oil:
To prevent the butter from burning, we are going to use a combination of neutral oil and butter. Also, remember to wipe out the pan after every batch.
In this recipe, I served the French toast with maple syrup, strawberry jam, fresh strawberries, and powdered sugar. Please note that strawberry jam and powdered sugar are optional ingredients.
Brioche French Toast
- 4 (1-inch thick) dry brioche bread, (about 2 days old)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, (divided)
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil, such as canola or sunflower oil, (divided)
- maple syrup
- fresh berries or strawberries
- strawberry jam or preserve or fruit jam of your choice
- confectioners' sugar
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- In a shallow bowl, beat egg, with sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Transfer the egg mixture into a large roasting pan (13x10 inches). Dip bread in egg mixture, then soak each piece of bread for at least 2 minutes each side (until it has absorbed most of the batter evenly across the bread, and is not soggy).
- Preheat a-10 inch nonstick saute pan over medium heat. When the pot is hot enough, melt ½ tablespoon of butter and ½ tablespoon of oil. Place 2 slices of bread at a time into the pan, cook for about 2 minutes per side or until browned on both sides. Add butter if needed. Transfer the cooked French toast to the wire rack and keep it warm in the oven while you finish the other bread/toasts.
- Wipe the skillet clean with paper towels. Repeat the process to cook the remaining bread, adding butter and oil as needed.
- Serve warm with maple syrup, strawberry or fruit jam, fresh strawberries or berries, and/or confectioners' sugar.
Brioche French toast is a family favorite! Perfect for brunch, or even a mid-day lunch, it's the perfect comfort food recipe.
My french toast came out perfectly and was surprised how easy it was to make! Will definitely make again for next Sunday's brunch 🙂
This will be perfect for Father's Day breakfast. Can't wait!
I pinned this as well..love the way you have styled and shot it..gorgeous
Lizet Flores de Bowen
My family loves your recipe. A treat we make on the weekends. Just yummy!
Thanks so much, Lizet! 🙂