This Indian Style Rice is a quick side dish that you can serve with any meal like curry or chicken tikka masala. The rice is perfectly cooked and flavored with aromatic spices. It's so fragrant and delicious!
Growing up in Asia made me appreciate how important spices are in cooking. Spices can make almost anything taste better.
This rice is quite similar to Jeera rice but contains more spices. You can cook this rice on the stove or in an instant pot.
This Indian Style Rice is a simple side dish that is made from basmati rice and aromatic spices; cinnamon, turmeric, cumin, cardamon, and cloves.
You can find most of these ingredients at your local grocery store and they are pretty inexpensive.
Basmati rice is a variety of long-grained rice, which is traditionally grown in India and Pakistan.
It is high in carbs and micronutrients like thiamine, folate, and selenium. It's generally lower in arsenic than the other type of rice. You can read more here.
The Seasoning for Indian Rice:
In this recipe, I used a combination of these spices to add flavors to the rice.
- Cardamon. It has a strong sweet and pungent aroma. You can find the whole or powder form at any grocery market. I highly recommend buying it from the bulk spice section so you only buy what you need and save money.
- (optional if you like spicy) Kashmiri chili pepper powder. You can find this at any Indian, Middle East grocers, or Amazon.com. Or feel free to substitute it with paprika or smoked paprika with a small pinch of cayenne pepper.
How to Make Indian Style Rice on the Stove or in an Instant Pot
Step 1. Prepare the basmati rice
Place rice into a large bowl and add enough water to cover. Soak for 20 minutes. Rinse the rice and drain well.
Step 2. Cook the rice on the stove or in an instant pot
Combine rice, water, cinnamon, turmeric, cumin, cloves, and chili powder in a regular pot or instant pot.
- On the stove
Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat then lower the heat to a simmer, cover the pot and cook for about 15 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is done.
- In an Instant Pot
Cook for 3 minutes on manual at high pressure. Once the cooking cycle is completed, allow the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes.
Transfer the cooked rice to a baking sheet, allow it to cool down at room temperature.
Step 3. Cook aromatic vegetables
Heat 2 tablespoon of oil, butter, or ghee in a skillet or an instant pot. Cook onion for about 4-5 minutes or until translucent. Add cardamon seeds, and cumin. Continue cooking for about 3 minutes.
Add the cooked rice back into the pot. Cook and stir the rice for a few minutes, until lightly toasted.
FAQ and Cooking Tips:
Yes, you can. However, you need to increase the cooking time to 15 minutes at high pressure.
You can keep the leftover cooked rice in an airtight container. Properly stored, it will last up 4-5 days in the fridge or up to 3 months in the freezer.
Sprinkle about a teaspoon of water over the top of the rice. Reheat in the microwave for about 30 seconds or until the rice is hot.
Check Out More Rice Recipes:
- Instant Pot White Rice
- Instant Pot Ground Beef and Rice
- Chicken and Chorizo Rice
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Chinese Sausage Fried Rice
- Instant Pot Fried Rice
- Kimchi Fried Rice
- Nasi Goreng
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below! I'd appreciate it.
Indian Style Rice
- 1½ cups basmati rice, (soak in water for 20 minutes, rinse, and drain well)
- 1½ cups water for Instant Pot, (use 3 cups of water for stove top/regular pot)
- 1 cinnamon stick , (or ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon salt, (add more according to your liking)
- ⅛ teaspoon kashmiri pepper powder, (OPTIONAL or skip or use a combination of paprika and a pinch of cayenne pepper)
- 2 whole cloves
For Stir Fry:
- 1 (350 grams) onion, (sliced)
- 6 cardamon pods
- ⅛ teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 tablespoon oil, butter, or ghee
- Combine rice, water, cinnamon, turmeric, cumin, cloves, salt, and (optional) chili powder in a regular pot or instant pot. Stir to combine.#Option 1 - Cook on Stove: bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pot, and cook for 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed and rice is fluffy. #Option 2- Instant Pot: cook for 3 minutes on manual at high pressure. Once the cooking cycle is completed, allow the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes.Transfer the cooked rice to a baking sheet, allow it to cool down at room temperature.
- Heat the oil in a skillet or Instant Pot. Cook sliced onion for about 4-5 minutes or until translucent. Add the cardamom seeds and cumin. Continue cooking for about 3 minutes.Add the cooked rice back into the pot. Cook and stir the rice for a few minutes, until lightly toasted. Transfer the rice to a platter. g.
- Fluff the rice with a fork. Remove any of the spices that are still hard or tough to chew, such as the cardamom pods before serving.