Here’s a simple oven-baked chicken thighs dish that is perfect for stress-free weeknight dinners. This roasted lemon pepper chicken thighs recipe is so hearty and comforting. The chicken thighs turn out right every time; it’s an easy recipe for chicken that will never fail you.
If you are looking for a good recipe for chicken thighs, try this Lemon Pepper Chicken Thighs recipe. It’s oven-baked, made of simple ingredients, easy and inexpensive to make but loaded with lemon pepper flavors.
Now let’s talk about the ingredients, cooking process, and everything else that you need to know about lemon pepper chicken.
Preparation for Oven-Baked Chicken Thighs:
The preparation is very simple. It involves chopping the garlic, mixing the spice rub, and drying the chicken with paper towels.
To make this recipe, you will need about 1-¾ pounds of chicken thighs, which is around 4 pieces. Skin-on thighs would be perfect for this recipe so you can get that nice brown and crispy skin. The skin also helps retain more fat and moisture that results in juicier meat.
CHECK OUT MORE DELICIOUS CHICKEN RECIPES:
- ROASTED CORNISH HEN (WITH MIXED VEGETABLES)
- CHICKEN AND CHORIZO RICE
- ROASTED HALF CHICKEN
- SLOW COOKER LIME CHICKEN WITH COUSCOUS
- HEALTHY BAKED CHICKEN TENDERS (AKA CHICKEN STRIPS)
- CHICKEN SHAWARMA (OVEN-ROASTED + INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS) – WITH VIDEO 🎥
- OVEN-BAKED CHICKEN BREAST (SO TENDER AND JUICY!)
- HARISSA CHICKEN RECIPE – WITH RECIPE VIDEO 🎥
- CREAMY CHICKEN MARSALA
- MEDITERRANEAN ROAST CHICKEN WITH VEGGIES
- INSTANT POT GARLIC PARMESAN CHICKEN WINGS (NINJA FOODI + OVEN-BAKED INSTRUCTIONS)
- DRY RUB CHICKEN WINGS (OVEN-BAKED/INSTANT POT/NINJA FOODI)
- INSTANT POT CHICKEN WINGS WITH BUFFALO SAUCE
The Perfect Seasoning for Oven-Baked Chicken Thighs:
The lemon pepper seasoning blend consists of basic pantry ingredients: olive oil, dried oregano, black pepper, onion powder, brown sugar, kosher salt, as well as the fresh produce: fresh garlic, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
You can use dried/fresh thyme or Italian seasoning as a substitute item for oregano or use a combination of both.
Kosher salt is an absolute must-have ingredient on so many chicken recipes! Kosher salt has larger grains than table salt that makes it easier to distribute evenly on meat.
I usually use about ¾ – 1 teaspoon of kosher salt per pound of chicken. However, the lemon juice and lemon zest act as flavor enhancers and brighten up the taste of food. Both are often used as a salt replacement for those who are trying to reduce sodium intake. For that reason, I only used 1 teaspoon of kosher salt per recipe (4 pieces of chicken, 1-¾ pounds total).
How to Marinate Chicken Thighs:
Marinating is optional, but if you could marinate the chicken in the seasoning for 15-30 minutes it will help absorb the flavors.
The Perfect Temperature to Cook Chicken Thighs in the Oven:
Roast the chicken thighs at 400°F for about 35-45 minutes. The cooking time will be shorter if you are using boneless chicken thighs. The best way to make sure your chicken is safe to eat is to check the internal temperature. The USDA recommends cooking whole poultry (including breasts, legs, thighs, wings, and giblets) to a safe minimum internal temperature of 165°F as measured using a food.
What to Serve With Baked Chicken Thighs:
- BAKED MAC AND CHEESE (SO CREAMY AND CHEESY)
- ROASTED YELLOW SQUASH WITH PARMESAN CHEESE AND HERBS
- SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE | CHEESY AND HEALTHY – WITH RECIPE VIDEO 🎥
- KOREAN SPINACH SALAD RECIPE
- SKILLET FRIED CORN – BUTTERY!
- CAPRESE SALAD – FRESH TOMATO MOZZARELLA WITH BASIL
- ELOTES MEXICANOS – MEXICAN CORN SALAD
- EASY KETO CREAMED SPINACH – SO CHEESY!
- SHRIMP AVOCADO MANGO SALAD
I hope you’ll enjoy this recipe! If you try it out please don’t forget to come back and rate the recipe card!
Lemon Pepper Chicken Thighs
- 4 chicken thighs (skin on) – about 1¾ pounds total
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- ¾ tsp dried oregano (or use Italian seasoning or thyme)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt (use ¾ tsp if you are salt-sensitive)
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine oil, brown sugar, dried oregano, lemon juice, lemon zest, onion powder, salt, black pepper, and minced garlic. Mix well.
- Season the chicken thighs with the spice blend. Marinate the chicken in the fridge for 30 minutes if possible.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the chicken, skin side up on a prepared baking sheet. Cook for about 35-45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through, is no longer pink, and until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.