A delicious Instant pot potato leek soup that tastes quite similar to Vichyssoise. The soup is so rich, buttery, creamy, comforting, filling and tasty! The broth is naturally thickened with potatoes, no additional flour or cornstarch is needed!
Creamy Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup:
There is nothing better than a warm bowl of comfort soup on chilly days. This Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup, a pretty similar soup to Vichyssoise but has a couple of healthy and tasty changes. This mouthwatering pressure cooker soup recipe is made in an all-in-one appliance, instant pot!
Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup Ingredients:
This thick and creamy soup recipe is made with pureed leek, Yukon potato, garlic onion, butter, chicken broth, and heavy cream. All are ingredients that you can easily find in your pantry or local market.
If you are looking fora new delicious Instant pot soup recipes to make this cold season, don’t wait any longer and try this delicious potato leek soup today. It’s a hearty and flavorful soup. It’s loaded with Yukon gold potatoes, leek, and onion. Below, I am going to show you exactly how I cook it.
CHECK OUT MORE INSTANT POT SOUP RECIPES:
- INSTANT POT BACON LENTIL SOUP (SO HEARTY)
- INSTANT POT SAUSAGE GNOCCHI SOUP (CREAMY ITALIAN GOODNESS)
- INSTANT POT PEA SOUP – VEGETARIAN!
- INSTANT POT CAULIFLOWER SOUP (LOW-CARB)
- INSTANT POT GREAT NORTHERN BEAN SOUP (the most favorited soup!)
- INSTANT POT PEA SOUP – VEGETARIAN!
- INSTANT POT ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP
- INSTANT POT POTATO SOUP WITH BACON!
- INSTANT POT ITALIAN SAUSAGE KALE SOUP
How to Make this Potato Leek Soup in a Pressure Cooker:
- First, you will need to cook the onion and leek for about 8-10 minutes total to bring a deeper flavor to the soup.
- Second, cook the potatoes and the other ingredients at high pressure for about 10 minutes, with quick release.
- Third, you will need to puree the cooked soup with a hand blender or a high-speed blender. Please note, if you are going to use a high-speed blender be sure to let it cool for five minutes or so before transferring from the blender. Also, be sure to fill the blender only halfway to prevent it from splattering.
- Lastly, you will add the heavy cream and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
This creamy potato leek soup should last up to 4 days in the fridge. If you are thinking to freeze the soup, you may want to add the heavy cream prior to serving.
This soup is creamy and not thickened with flour or corn starch. Starches like potatoes thicken the soup naturally.
Yukon Gold Potatoes:
Yukon Golds are incredibly versatile. They are perfect for mashing and in soups and chowders. They are also great for roasting and sauteeing, too.
Cheese Soup Alternative
My father-in-law makes a legendary three-cheese soup. I always enjoy two bowls when he visits, but my husband sometimes needs to go for an alternative meal. It’s great to have a vegetable soup that has that same consistency and a surprisingly similar flavor. A bit sweet and a bit sour, a nice hot bowl of this thick soup is very satisfying and will have people asking for seconds. Shhh, just don’t tell them it’s so healthy!
In the recipe below, I mention sauteing the onion and leek in a fat-based liquid (butter). I do this often on soup recipes because aromatic vegetables will add more depth, as well as a pleasing and complex flavor when cooked. If you don’t have time to saute the onion, garlic, and leek, feel free to skip the butter and dump the ingredients (excluding the heavy cream) into the pot, and cook for 10 minutes with quick release.
Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup
- 3 large leeks (use white and light green only. Thoroughly washed and sliced)
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes (peeled and sliced)
- 1½ cups chopped onion (about 1 large onion)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 32 oz broth
- 1 tsp salt (use more according to your liking)
- black pepper to taste
- 1¼ cups heavy cream
- chopped chives
- Press the “Sauté” function key, select a temperature with the “Adjust” key for "Less" and melt the unsalted butter. (See notes)
- Cook the chopped onion for about 4 minutes, add garlic, keep stirring for 1 minute. (See notes)
- Add the sliced leeks into the pot, keep stirring and cook until they're soft for about 4 minutes. (See notes)
- Pour in the broth and be sure to deglaze the pot.
- Place the Yukon gold potatoes, salt and pepper. Turn off the Sauté button and press Soup button and adjust the time to 10 minutes.
- Close lid and set pressure release to Sealing.
- When the timer beeps, quick-release pressure, turn off Instant Pot®, and then unlock the lid and remove it.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Turn off the heat and add heavy cream. Mix well. Adjust seasoning with salt/pepper or add more cream according to your liking.
- Serve with chopped chives. Enjoy!
- Skip the butter
- Add onion, garlic, potato, leek and broth into the pot and set it to “Soup” for 10 minutes with quick-release.
- Puree the soup until smooth.
- Add heavy cream, serve and enjoy!