A refreshing tomato-cucumber salad. This salad is made of fresh produce, herbs, and seasoned with a basic homemade dressing. It's so easy to make, quick, and affordable.
This colorful tomato cucumber salad is the perfect side dish to accompany any meal. It's so light yet flavorful! The ultimate summertime salad, potluck, or party dish any time of year.
Light Tomato Cucumber Salad with 3-Ingredients Homemade Salad Dressing:
In this recipe, you will also be learning how to make the best healthy salad dressing at home with just three ingredients!
The Best Ingredients for a Salad:
This low carb salad is made of fresh ingredients that you can find in your own garden or local market.
To make this Middle-Eastern salad, you will need fresh cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, mint, and parsley. Then, you will need olive oil, fresh lemon juice and red wine vinegar to make the best homemade salad dressing, a favorite of mine for sure.
Homemade Salad Dressing:
This simple vinaigrette will provide a light and refreshing flavor to boost the taste of your cucumber tomato salad.
Usually, you only dress your salad as you're going to eat it, or right before serving. But to make the best of this tomato-cucumber salad, you actually need to add the vinaigrette to the salad and let it sit for at least 30 minutes before serving. So, it's very similar to marinating. 🙂
Check Out More Salad Dressing or Dipping Sauce Recipes:
- THAI SALAD DRESSING (THAI PEANUT SAUCE)
- MANGO SALAD DRESSING WITH LIME (NO SUGAR ADDED)
- CRANBERRY VINAIGRETTE (A CREAMY SALAD DRESSING)
- BUTTERMILK DILL DRESSING WITH GREEK YOGURT
- HONEY MUSTARD DIPPING SAUCE
Can it be made in advance?
Yes! You can make this salad ahead of time and put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours. Or you can cover, and refrigerate for up to 24 hours but be sure not to add salt into the salad as it will make veggies sweat or releasing the juice.
How to Store Leftover Salad? For how long?
The leftover can be refrigerated for up to 1-2 days.
What Type of Cucumber for this Salad?
I personally used the Persian cucumber that I purchased from my local Trader's Joe to make this salad. An English cucumber will also be a good choice. Both of them can be used interchangeably in any recipe.
I used 3 Persian cucumbers or about 2 cups diced. On average, English cucumber is about a foot long, while Persian cucumbers are only about 5-6 inches. That means if you are going to use an English cucumber, please use only one.
What Type of Tomato for this Salad?
Any tomatoes such as Roma tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, or sugar tomatoes can be used to make this salad.
I only had sugar plum tomatoes available at home and used about 12 oz. They are very sweet, have a pleasing texture, and flavorful. Perfect for salads and go-to-snacks.
Check Out More Salad Recipes:
- GREEN PAPAYA SALAD (SOM TAM) – A TASTY THAI STREET FOOD
- KETO COBB SALAD WITH HOMEMADE RANCH DRESSING
- ELOTES MEXICANOS – MEXICAN CORN SALAD
- CAPRESE SALAD – FRESH TOMATO, MOZZARELLA WITH BASIL
- VEGETARIAN BROCCOLI SALAD – CREAMY AND CRUNCHY!
- SOBA NOODLE SALAD RECIPE WITH ASIAN SALAD DRESSING
Customize your Salad:
The best thing about this tomato cucumber salad is that it’s customizable! Who doesn't love to build their own salad? The best salads are customized to your specific tastes!
Here are some examples of how you can customize this salad:
- To add extra protein, simply add feta cheese to it!
- Swap the mint or parsley with other herbs of your choice, such as dill.
Also, the homemade vinaigrette below is made with a very basic measurement so you can easily make a necessary adjustment if needed and according to your taste. If you love a punchier flavor, feel free to add extra red wine vinegar.
Please keep in mind that the flavors will build up as you marinate this salad with the dressing (for at least 30 minutes). So, make sure to go easy on the vinegar!
Serve this Salad with
It pairs wonderfully with this Chicken Shawarma and Lamb Kofta Kebabs
Tomato Cucumber Salad
- 12 oz cherry or sugar plum tomatoes , (halved, about 1½ cups)
- 3 Persian cucumbers, (diced, about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- 5 mint leaves, (chopped)
- ½ small red onion , (thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper , (to taste)
- In a medium-size bowl. Combine cucumber, tomato, and red onion. Add olive oil, red wine vinegar, and lemon juice. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Add chopped parsley and mint. Stir to combine.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
This looks delicious and pretty too! Those are two of my favorite veggies.
This looks like a different salad and so healthy sounding. I rarely put cucumbers in my salad so I have to try it your way.
This salad was amazing! I made it to go with our BBQ last night and it was gone in minutes. So flavorful and perfect for a summer dinner.
Yum! That is my kind of salad. Love the fact that it is so easy and quick to prepare too. Saved your recipe.
Looks so yummy! I'm saving your recipe for my garden parties this summer. It's great that I'll be able to prepare it 2 hours before and refrigerate it.
So delicious and simple. I usually make a simple cucumber salad with no tomatoes and love it. I'll have to add tomatoes the next time I make it. A really refreshing salad.
This is my favorite kind of salad, crunchy instead of fluffy. I love it with feta and kalamata olives.
My favourite salad - super easy, vibrant colours and perfect crunch!
Oh it looks so refreshing and perfect for summer!! Love salads like this!
Such an easy, quick and delicious salad recipe, will definitely do this for our dinner..