Vegan coleslaw recipe with finely shredded cabbage, carrots, celery seed, vegan mayo, apple cider vinegar, lemon, agave nectar, salt, and pepper. This slaw has the perfect balance of sweet and tangy, therefore it makes a great side dish or topping for BBQ dishes. From a burger or hot dogs to fish tacos, this summer budget-friendly salad recipe will always stand out!
Easy Vegan Coleslaw Recipe Ingredients:
- To make this Vegan Coleslaw, I used simple pantry ingredients. And it’s surprisingly delicious! A refreshing taste coleslaw from scratch that consists of finely shredded raw purple, green cabbage, and carrot. I served it with homemade vinaigrette mayo dressing.
- I decided to go easy on sweetener. For this recipe, I used agave nectar instead of white sugar. I only used 1 tablespoon of Agave Nectar. Feel free to use more according to your liking. I also used a combination of apple cider vinegar and fresh lemon juice to add tanginess.
How To Make Vegan Coleslaw Recipe:
- Mix All the Dressing Ingredients: You don’t need any fancy kitchen gadget to make this homemade vinaigrette. Just use a medium bowl, add mayo (I used vegan mayo), then seasoned with apple cider vinegar, freshly squeezed lemon juice, dried celery seeds, salt, and pepper.
- Shredded cabbage and carrots: First cut each cabbage in half then use a mandolin slicer to shred the cabbage. For carrots, I like to use this hand shredder that I purchased from Amazon.
- Now, mix the dressing into the shredded vegetables. Remember to keep the vegan coleslaw in the fridge until it’s ready for use!
How Much Cabbage is in the Vegan Coleslaw?
This recipe calls for 1/2 cup of mayonnaise. For that reason, I used 2 cups of shredded red cabbage and 2 cups of shredded white cabbage, plus 1/3 cup shredded carrots for a great balanced taste.
When to Serve Coleslaw:
Coleslaw has the best texture and flavor the day it’s made. Be sure to keep it in the fridge until it’s ready for use. It’s recommended to be in the fridge for at least 1 hour before serving.
Can I store coleslaw dressing in the fridge?
Do you have leftover dressing? Don’t worry, you can store the remaining vinaigrette in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Just don’t leave the dressing at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
More Salad Dressing Recipes:
- THAI SALAD DRESSING (THAI PEANUT SAUCE)
- APPLE CIDER VINEGAR SESAME DRESSING
- MANGO SALAD DRESSING WITH LIME (NO SUGAR ADDED)
- AVOCADO SALAD DRESSING RECIPE
Can I Freeze the Coleslaw Dressing?
Wondering about keeping the dressing in the freezer? I wouldn’t recommend it due to mayonnaise being one of the main ingredients. Mayonnaise tends to separate after being frozen. As a result, you will find a watery coleslaw after it defrosts.
Can I Store Shredded Cabbage in the Fridge?
Of course! You can store pre-cut cabbage in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. For shredded or cut, you must use within 2-3 days. And for cooked cabbage, cover, refrigerate and use within 3 days.
More recipe ideas with Cabbage:
- ASIAN CABBAGE MANGO SALAD WITH GRILLED SHRIMP
- KALE CABBAGE SALAD WITH SESAME DRESSING
- CRUNCHY ASIAN SLAW WITH CABBAGE, MANGO, CARROT AND TAMARIND SAUCE
- SLOW COOKER CABBAGE ROLL SOUP
- CABBAGE ROLLS WITH BEEF AND MUSHROOM
Sweet and Tangy Cabbage slaw with vegan mayo, apple cider vinegar, celery seed, lemon, salt and pepper.
- 1/2 cup Vegan Mayo (I purchased from Trader's Joe)
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3/4 tablespoon fresh Lemon juice (use more according to your liking)
- 1 tablespoon 100% Agave Nectar (feel free to adjust the sweetness level according to your liking)
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- optional: salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1/4 – 1/3 cups shredded carrots
Whisk all the coleslaw dressing ingredients above in a bowl until well combined, smooth and creamy.
In a large salad bowl, mix green cabbage, red cabbage and carrots. Drizzle with coleslaw dressing until a desired consistency is reached. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
(Please note: for this recipe, I used the whole dressing)
Cover the bowl and keep in the fridge until it's ready for use.