Ultra-creamy mushroom soup recipe made without flour, heavy cream, or milk. It's the ultimate comfort food to warm you up in cold weather.
If you are looking for a healthy creamy mushroom soup recipe, look no further! Here's a good soup recipe for you to try! This homemade soup is tasty and actually quite good for you.
With a deep earthy flavor and a creamy texture, this creamless mushroom soup makes for a hearty choice on those chilly winter nights.
This mushroom soup uses simple ingredients yet is packed with nutrients and is full of flavor! It's so easy to make and after trying it you will never want to buy cream of mushroom soup from a can again!
Mushrooms are a good source of antioxidants and vitamins, and they are low in calories. They also contain powerful polysaccharides called beta-glucans that help fight inflammation and balance out the immune system.
About This Creamy Mushroom Soup
Unlike many other cream of mushroom soup recipes, this recipe doesn't require a basic roux with flour and no dairy or creamer is added. It's a creamy and tasty soup that happens to be low in calories, gluten-free, low carb, and keto-friendly.
You can also turn this mushroom soup into vegan by using vegan butter and vegetable broth.
The Ingredients for Creamy Mushroom Soup:
To make this mushroom soup, you will need the following ingredients:
- Cremini mushrooms or any wild mushrooms of your choice.
- Broth. You can use chicken or vegetable broth
- Dry sherry. Use good quality dry sherry that you like and it doesn't have to be expensive. Do not use cooking sherry because of the large amount of preservative and salt content in it.
- Lemon thyme or thyme
If want to avoid alcohol, feel free to skip the dry sherry. This cream of mushroom soup will taste good with or without dry sherry.
How to Make Creamy Mushroom Soup with No Cream:
This mushroom soup is so easy to make. However, it takes a little longer, but it will be well worth the wait. The long-simmering time makes the soup taste better.
Step 1. Sauté the Mushrooms
In a large pot, melt butter and cook mushrooms for 15 minutes on medium-high heat.
Step 2. Cook the Aromatic Soup Base
Add onion and cook for 4 minutes then add garlic and cook for 1 minute. An important note, cook the onion just until soft and translucent but not brown.
Step 3. Simmer the Soup
Add chicken stock, parsley, and thyme. Bring to a boil then lower the heat, simmer the soup for an hour.
Step 4. Blend the Mushroom Soup
Remove the parsley and thyme from the soup.
Carefully blend the soup in a blender or using an immersion blender. Remember, only fill your blender ⅓ full and work in batches if needed.
Step 5. Add Dry Sherry
Finally, add dry sherry and bring the soup to a simmer for 5 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!
How to Store Leftover Soup:
First, let soup cool at room temperature and after it is completely cool, store it in an airtight container and transfer it to the refrigerator. Properly stored, it can last up to 3 days.
CHECK MORE TASTY SOUP RECIPES:
- CREAMY RAVIOLI SOUP
- FRENCH ONION SOUP
- CHICKEN CORN CHOWDER (STOVETOP INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED)
- CAULIFLOWER SOUP (LOW-CARB)
- CHICKEN CORN CHOWDER (STOVETOP
- BLACK-EYED PEA SOUP WITH HAM HOCK AND SPINACH
- POTATO LEEK SOUP (NO FLOUR ADDED)
- PEA SOUP – VEGETARIAN!
- ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP
- POTATO SOUP WITH BACON!
- GREAT NORTHERN BEAN SOUP
- ITALIAN SAUSAGE KALE SOUP
- PRESSURE COOKER PUMPKIN SOUP
- INSTANT POT CLAM CHOWDER
Creamy Mushroom Soup
- In a large pot, melt butter and cook mushrooms with a pinch of salt for 15 minutes on medium-high heat. Stirring often.
- Add onion and cook for 4 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute. Stirring often.
- Tie thyme sprigs and parsley into a small bundle with kitchen twine then add into the pot.
- Add broth and bring to a boil then lower the heat. Simmer the soup, uncovered, for an hour.
- Remove the parsley and thyme bundle from the soup.
- Let the soup cool for a few minutes then carefully blend the soup in a blender or using an immersion blender.
- Return soup to pot and stir in dry sherry. Simmer for 3-5 minutes on medium-low heat. Add salt/pepper if necessary.
- Turn off the heat. Serve and enjoy with pan-fried mushrooms and/or toasted French baquette.
Adapted from the late Anthony Bourdain's cookbook with a few adjustments.