A comforting pressure cooker pumpkin soup recipe. This creamy pumpkin is cooked in an instant pot and only requires 8 minutes of cooking time with quick release. It’s a naturally gluten-free soup that contains heavy cream but has no flour added. It’s also an easy fall soup recipe that anyone in your family can enjoy!
Why You’ll Love this Pressure Cooker Pumpkin Soup:
This pressure cooker pumpkin soup is actually quite healthy, filling, and satisfying. The soup is thick and creamy, loaded with pumpkin, carrots, and butternut squash. This is an easy instant pot soup recipe to warm up your winter!
The soup broth is seasoned with fall spices like ground sage and ground nutmeg. To balance out the sweet flavor, I also added a bit of ground cayenne pepper to elevate the flavor. Don’t worry, it’s not a spicy soup. Your kids won’t even notice the cayenne pepper in it.
CHECK OUT MORE INSTANT POT SOUP RECIPES:
- INSTANT POT CHICKEN CORN CHOWDER (STOVETOP INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED)
- INSTANT POT BACON LENTIL SOUP (SO HEARTY)
- INSTANT POT SAUSAGE GNOCCHI SOUP (CREAMY ITALIAN GOODNESS)
- INSTANT POT PEA SOUP – VEGETARIAN!
- INSTANT POT CAULIFLOWER SOUP (LOW-CARB)
- INSTANT POT GREAT NORTHERN BEAN SOUP (the most favorited soup!)
- INSTANT POT PEA SOUP – VEGETARIAN!
- INSTANT POT ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP
- INSTANT POT POTATO SOUP WITH BACON!
- INSTANT POT ITALIAN SAUSAGE KALE SOUP
PUMPKIN SOUP INGREDIENTS:
In this recipe, I used 100% puree pumpkin soup that I purchased from local Trader’s Joe. If you prefer to use the fresh pumpkin, feel free to do so. You must replace the canned puree pumpkin with 3 cups of cubed fresh pumpkin and increase the cooking time to 10 minutes in an instant pot. Pumpkin is packed with vitamins and minerals, and it’s relatively low in calories and high in beta-carotene.
Butternut Squash: To make this winter soup, I added 4 cups of cubed butternut squash. If you have some leftover, be sure to use them to try out these other recipes: BUTTERNUT SQUASH PASTA SAUCE, SLOW COOKER BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
SOUP BASED INGREDIENTS:
To add flavor to the soup base I used a combination of carrot, onion, and garlic. I just threw these vegetables into the pot; no saute needed!
Be sure to use spices! To add a little kick to the soup I used a small amount of ground sage, nutmeg, and cayenne pepper.
TO THICKEN THE SOUP:
To add creaminess to the soup, I added some regular heavy cream. You can also use half n half. Or, for a healthier alternative, feel free to use coconut cream. If you are a vegan, use any other non-dairy almond or cashew milk instead.
Leftover creamy pumpkin soup should last up to 3-4 days in the fridge or up to 3-4 months in the freezer. Please keep in mind that creamed soups sometimes separate when you defrost and reheat them due to the cream base. To fix this, you just need to whisk the soup by hand or with a blender.
Pressure Cooker Pumpkin Soup
- An Instant Pot 6-quart
- Hand Blender or High-Speed Blender
- 15 oz 100% pumpkin puree
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 cups broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp salt (use more according to your liking)
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground sage (use more according to your liking)
- a pinch of nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- Combine butternut squash, pumpkin puree, onions, carrots, garlic, and broth in the pressure cooker or instant pot.
- Add the ground sage, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper.
- Close and lock the lid. Select high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions; set timer for 8 minutes with quick release.
- Allow the soup to cool for a few minutes before blending. Using a hand blender (immersion blender) to puree the soup until smooth.
- Stir in the heavy cream or any other dairy or non-dairy milk. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed. Use the immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth.
- Serve and enjoy!
Or If the broth is too thin to your liking, turn Instant Pot back on and press Sauté button. Bring it back to a boil, stirring frequently until the liquid is reduced. Then add heavy cream.