A comforting creamy spinach potato soup, made with simple ingredients. The soup is so creamy, rich, and delicious. Anyone can make this one as it’s a simple soup recipe for any weeknight, especially on chilly days.
Craving for some cream of spinach soup? Try this creamy spinach potato soup as it has a flavor combination that’s even better. This soup is made with real ingredients and is very filling and nutritious!
This spinach potato soup is also gluten-free! It's made with just a handful of healthy, affordable, and real food ingredients!
Creamy Spinach Potato Soup Ingredients:
This creamy soup is made with fresh spinach, Yukon gold potatoes, broth, onion, garlic, heavy cream, and the optional cheddar cheese. It's very easy to make and inexpensive.
This recipe is very customizable. It is possible to make this creamy spinach soup totally dairy-free or WFPB compliance. The soup tastes good with or without heavy cream or cheese.
Spinach as a Healthy Soup Ingredient:
In this recipe, I used fresh baby spinach leaves. However, frozen spinach can also be used as an alternative. This dark leafy green is important for your skin, hair, and bone health. It also provides protein, iron, vitamins, and minerals.
Check Out More Soup Recipes:
- INSTANT POT BLACK-EYED PEA SOUP WITH HAM HOCK AND SPINACH
- CHORIZO SOUP (WITH BLACK BEANS AND VEGGIES!)
- COUSCOUS SOUP (FLAVORFUL TOMATO BROTH)
- PRESSURE COOKER PUMPKIN SOUP
- INSTANT POT POTATO LEEK SOUP (NO FLOUR ADDED)
- INSTANT POT BACON LENTIL SOUP (SO HEARTY)
- INSTANT POT SAUSAGE GNOCCHI SOUP (CREAMY ITALIAN GOODNESS)
- CARROT AND LENTIL SOUP (HIGH IN PROTEIN!)
- INSTANT POT CAULIFLOWER SOUP (LOW-CARB)
- COURGETTE SOUP RECIPE (CREAM OF ZUCCHINI SOUP)
- INSTANT POT ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP
- INSTANT POT PEA SOUP – VEGETARIAN!
- INSTANT POT POTATO SOUP WITH BACON!
- INSTANT POT ITALIAN SAUSAGE KALE SOUP
- INSTANT POT GREAT NORTHERN BEAN SOUP
Which Potato to Use in Creamy Soups:
I highly recommend using Yukon potatoes for this recipe. Other potatoes like Russet and red potatoes can also be used. Yukon gold potatoes are slightly sweet with a smooth and slightly waxy texture. They are incredibly versatile and inexpensive.
Yukon potatoes are great for roasting, baking, mashing, soups, and chowders.
Heavy Cream or Alternatives:
I added the heavy cream to thicken the soup, and to add a rich, milky flavor. As I mentioned above, this soup tastes delicious with or without heavy cream.
Other dairy options like crème frâiche, half n half or sour cream can also be used as a replacement ingredient. Alternatively, you can replace the heavy cream with a combination of milk and cornstarch. For example, replace 1 cup of heavy cream with a cup of milk and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch.
Spinach and Potato Soup
- 12 oz fresh baby spinach
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1½ pounds Yukon gold potatoes, (chopped coarsely or thin sliced)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, (minced)
- 2½ cups broth
- 1 cup water, (see notes)
- salt, (to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup loosely packed freshly grated cheddar cheese , (for serving)
- Melt butter in a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat; cook the onion for about 4 minutes and keep stirring. Add garlic and keep stirring until the onion softens.
- Add potatoes, broth, and water to the pan; bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes or longer or until the potatoes are tender.
- Open the lid, add extra broth if needed. Stir in spinach and cook until it's wilted. Turn off the heat.
- Carefully blend the soup using a hand blender or high-speed blender until smooth.
- Return soup to the pan, add heavy cream and the optional cheddar cheese; stir until just heated through. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- Serve and enjoy!
This is exactly just what I needed. Healthy and absolutely delicious at the same time. I am so glad you posted this.
We are huge fans of spinach in my house. This soup is definitely something that we would enjoy for dinner.
I love potato soup but have never considered putting spinach in it. I bet is' amazing!
Ice Cream n Sticky Fingers DFW Parenting/LIfestyle
Yum, this soup sounds delicious. I make good potato soup but I never thought to add other vegetables to it. Hmmm. I'll have to give this a try, it is cold outside again.
Mama Maggie's Kitchen
This spinach potato soup looks really scrumptious and comforting. Will be perfect for cold nights and a tiring day!
I know I don't get enough greens in my diet - This would be a great way to do it! I will have to try this sometime
Eileen M Loya
Yay! Another delicious soup recipe that I can make for the family. Spinach is a staple in our house, but I have not made soup like this before. Looks so good I can't wait to try making it.
I didn't have any cream, but did have some ricotta cheese which I blended with whole milk. I also used white potatoes as I like to cook them with the skin on. I didn't blend this soup. We like chunky soup. I had some red pepper in the fridge so I diced that and added that. I love soups like this that you can be creative with. It was delicious and goes into the "do this again" file.
Thanks for trying and sharing what you did with this recipe. I am glad that it turned out well 🙂